A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Check engine light question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that's what they are going to do to my car on Tuesday when I drop it off.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok dropped the car off this morning. We'll see what they find when they open up. Probably like many of you said already -- carbon buildup?

As a side note. They gave me a Q7 loaner. That thing is BIG.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I took my car in last week. They removed the intake manifold and did the cleaning. So far so good, engine misfires when cold are gone, however, still takes a little longer than I remember to start when cold.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Xpri
I took my car in last week. They removed the intake manifold and did the cleaning. So far so good, engine misfires when cold are gone, however, still takes a little longer than I remember to start when cold.
Xpri,

The dealer called and they did the same to my car. One of the cylinders apparently had a lot of gunk and carbon build up. It's been cleaned thoroughly and they've also been testing it for two days at the dealership. So far no more codes or rough idling. I think I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Hopefully that's it. The one thing is that I do at times get gas from this BP gas station that is near my house. I try to use Shell when I can, but perhaps the fuel at this BP may be a bit dirty?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KeeperPA
Xpri,

The dealer called and they did the same to my car. One of the cylinders apparently had a lot of gunk and carbon build up. It's been cleaned thoroughly and they've also been testing it for two days at the dealership. So far no more codes or rough idling. I think I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Hopefully that's it. The one thing is that I do at times get gas from this BP gas station that is near my house. I try to use Shell when I can, but perhaps the fuel at this BP may be a bit dirty?

Got the car back this afternoon. No rough idle or CEL's thus far. Hopefully the cleaning up of cylinder #2 will keep this from happening again as well as getting gas somewhere else.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KeeperPA
Got the car back this afternoon. No rough idle or CEL's thus far. Hopefully the cleaning up of cylinder #2 will keep this from happening again as well as getting gas somewhere else.
I was using MOBIL quite a bit as the gas station was convenient for the commute, switched to Shell now. Again, so far no more issues although cold start is still a bit variable, sometimes it takes longer than it should to start. There seems to be some correlation between the noise when the door is opened and how well it starts but for now it's to much trouble to go back to the dealer.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Xpri
I was using MOBIL quite a bit as the gas station was convenient for the commute, switched to Shell now. Again, so far no more issues although cold start is still a bit variable, sometimes it takes longer than it should to start. There seems to be some correlation between the noise when the door is opened and how well it starts but for now it's to much trouble to go back to the dealer.
Yeah, I'm going to stick to Shell. I may have to wait a little longer to fill up or go a little bit out of my way, but I'm sticking to it like I used to.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Same here, been using Shell for years, even though it is out of my way as well. I filled up outside NYC recently at a Hess station and the CEL came on about a mile later. A couple of tanks of Shell later and the CEL stayed off.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
Same here, been using Shell for years, even though it is out of my way as well. I filled up outside NYC recently at a Hess station and the CEL came on about a mile later. A couple of tanks of Shell later and the CEL stayed off.
amazing how crappy some fuels are compared to others. too bad the computers are so "sensitive" to the quality of fuels...
Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

99% of the time the 3.2L misfire codes are cause by the CArbon build up on the back of the valves

the poor design on theose engine is that it is direct injection meaning the injector is going directly into the cumbustion chamber like a diesel....

so using a certain gas is not helping this perticular problem.

bc the injectors are not spray fuel throught the intake manifold it is not cleaning the back of the valve. thus creating "gunk" on the back of the valves. causing a lazy valve which throws a missfire code!

i will take a picture of one when we get it in the shop ive personally cleaned out 4 in the last month 3 in 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Check engine light question..