A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Cleaning the rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the rims

Just purchased a 2006 Audi a4 2.0T Quattro. The car was dirty when I picked it up and being a clean freak I instantly went home and washed her up. I typically take extra care of the rims/tires, however when I went over the rims with the soap I use for the car (turtle wax car soap) the outer ring of the center caps seemed to absorb the dirt and turn almost brown. Went over a few times very carefully and nothing changed. Any ideas on how to get those center caps clean, or should I purchase a new set of center caps and make sure to keep them clean myself?

Thanks, Peter

Ps I realize the rims aren't in the best of condition, just looking to keep clean until I purchase a new set of Audi rims.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2014, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I don't think there's anything more to clean...that part needs to be replaced.

Welcome aboard, Pumpkins!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I don't think there's anything more to clean...that part needs to be replaced.

Welcome aboard, Pumpkins!

Thanks! New caps on the way!!
Old 12-10-2014, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumkin
Just purchased a 2006 Audi a4 2.0T Quattro. The car was dirty when I picked it up and being a clean freak I instantly went home and washed her up. I typically take extra care of the rims/tires, however when I went over the rims with the soap I use for the car (turtle wax car soap) the outer ring of the center caps seemed to absorb the dirt and turn almost brown. Went over a few times very carefully and nothing changed. Any ideas on how to get those center caps clean, or should I purchase a new set of center caps and make sure to keep them clean myself?

Thanks, Peter

Ps I realize the rims aren't in the best of condition, just looking to keep clean until I purchase a new set of Audi rims.
May as well buy entire wheels, rather than just a set of rims.

Welding a rim on the an existing hub and spokes would likely be very difficult, and the result wouldn't be attractive, nor very strong.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Seriously?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
Seriously?
Seriously, I think the OP intends to buy new wheels, that is, the entire unit, not simply the outer edge of the wheel (the 'rim').

I realize it's currently cool/hip/trendy to refer to wheels as 'rims', but it's not accurate.

The distinction does matter - a bent rim can often be repaired; a bent wheel, much less so.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Term rim was used by audi dealership, auto shop, and other local audi enthusiasts. Not sure what the rest of you are referring to but I'm talking about the plastic center cap, which I replaced and looks clean. Also when I went into Les Schwab to order the new wheels they also referred to them as rims rather than wheels. Best answer from uberwgn, thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pumkin
Term rim was used by audi dealership, auto shop, and other local audi enthusiasts. Not sure what the rest of you are referring to but I'm talking about the plastic center cap, which I replaced and looks clean. Also when I went into Les Schwab to order the new wheels they also referred to them as rims rather than wheels. Best answer from uberwgn, thanks!
Lots of people refer to wheels as 'rims'.

And, like, lots of people like, use 'like' as filler in, like, a sentence, because, like, they hear other people, like, do that, and like, they figure it's cool, like.