A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Confirmed: OBX B6 catbacks for 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confirmed: OBX B6 catbacks for 3.2

Hey everyone!
I have some good news! I have been looking for a catbacks for my 3.2 for sometime. There are quite a few out there but I don't have the funds available to spend a little over a grand on a system. I looked into OBX as a guy in my shop bought some headers for a 4.3 Chevy from them and while they were dirt cheap, they are very well made.
OBX makes a catbacks for the B6 3.0 and s4 and having done some extensive forum reading I felt confident that the OBX will fit my car with some modification. Figuring why the hell not I spent the $650 shipped and waited a week. Today a nice big box showed up at my shop. The exhaust looks very well made for any price, welds are good, and the material is sufficient. Nice and polished 304 stainless.
The system bolts right up to the car with NO modification whatsoever. The only place I ran into interferance is the rear subframe and tunnel cross member. Nothing major on the subframe, just when you hit it hard it will rattle up against it, but if you take it easy all is well. I'm going to put some rubber pucks to soften the impact and that should make it unnoticible. The cross member is another story altogether, it rattles up against it pretty good so I will come up with a quick and dirty fix for that. All in all the system looks good, can't say much about the sound yet as it only has about 5 miles on it and not even close to being broke in but its definitely nice and throaty and deep. Will update with some video tomorrow, its Friday and its too late for me to take the car out.

Tip with greasy fingerprints

Mocked up and not fully adjusted yet

Even the tips line up!
Old 11-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 11-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Upon playing a little bit with the way the exhaust is hung I got rid of the clunk under acceleration. It had to be tweaked slightly on one side. Accomplished this at the pipe joints by moving one side back a little(maybe 3/8"). No clunks or rattles hitting bumps or under heavy acceleration. As for the tunnel cross member: got rid of that interferance by sliding some spacers(once again about 3/8" ) between the body and the cross member and using some longer grade 8.8 bolts. Ground clearance does not seem to be affected, and there is plenty of space so things do not hit. I noticed that the hangers for the mufflers are a bit smaller than stock, so to make sure things don't slip out and drag on the ground I welded some 17mm nuts to the ends. If I have to drop the exhaust for any reason I can still do it from the top.
All in all this was almost a direct bolt on with minimal modification needed. It's much easier to do it on a lift but it can be accomplished in your driveway with some ramps and jackstands. As with any aftermarket part the fit is not 100% perfect but for me its good enough. The tips line up with the stock cutouts in the rear bumper cover. The tips are adjustable so I was able to get the length almost factory fit. So to end all of this if you want a good exhaust and don't feel like spending the money on one for the over $1k systems this OBX catback is a good choice.
System on this car:
Product Name - OBX Racing Sports
All in all