A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Head lights? Is it what it is .....thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head lights? Is it what it is .....thanks.

When the orange figure shows, car just wouldn't start, and the PRNDS keeps blinking.
Attached Thumbnails Head lights?  Is it what it is .....thanks.-audi-fault-20160609.jpg  
Old 06-15-2016, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your headlight levelling sensor has failed.
There is a sensor on the front suspension and one on the back suspension.
Check they are still connected and plugged in, otherwise you need to work out if it's the front or the rear that has failed. They are almost impossible to repair but you can get second hand ones pretty cheap as the actuator is interchangeable between front & rear.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by John535is
Your headlight levelling sensor has failed.
There is a sensor on the front suspension and one on the back suspension.
Check they are still connected and plugged in, otherwise you need to work out if it's the front or the rear that has failed. They are almost impossible to repair but you can get second hand ones pretty cheap as the actuator is interchangeable between front & rear.
This is very helpful indeed. Now I know what to look for. You're a gem :-)
Old 06-15-2016, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

You are looking for a sensor like this one. (This is off my allroad but yours should be similar). If you look up the part numbers they are different front to back because the mounting and coloured plastic arms are different but the black actuator part (mine has some tape on it) is the same.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much.....I had earlier booked my mechanic to take a look, as many simple diy jobs are beyond me as ...... I am a handicapped. Just saying this in the way of explaining why I didn't do more to find out what went wrong, nothing more :-)
But my mechanic's report was that I should get a new car, as Audis are prone to fail electronically after 10 years !
So first I will fix the water seeping/debris issue and see where it leads me to.....
Old 06-16-2016, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by cat dog
Thanks so much.....I had earlier booked my mechanic to take a look, as many simple diy jobs are beyond me as ...... I am a handicapped. Just saying this in the way of explaining why I didn't do more to find out what went wrong, nothing more :-)
But my mechanic's report was that I should get a new car, as Audis are prone to fail electronically after 10 years !
So first I will fix the water seeping/debris issue and see where it leads me to.....

water seeping/debris issue......in the battery and ECU bay, that is.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not knowing your limitations, but the fact you came to a site like this shows you have some interest in at least trying to help yourself. This sensor is not a big deal, I replaced the one in the photo myself, $50 off eBay, 15 minutes, even if you are paying a mechanic it would not be that expensive. Same with the flashing transmission selection, probably just a speed sensor, again not a big deal to replace. Not sure what you mean by water seeping around the battery but again, these cars have a rain cover that goes over the space where the battery and Ecu box is. Under these areas are drain holes so any rain that gets in just drains out. They can get clogged up with leaves. Someone just needs to lean in there are do some clean out, not a technical job and should take like 20 minutes tops. Ask your mechanic if he has software like VCDS to interigate a vag car. If he hasn't find someone in your area who has. Honestly I use a VCDS to find which speed sensor has failed, which suspension sensor has failed and clean out the drain holes should not be more than a couple of hours labour to find and repair by someone familiar with Audi cars. I wouldn't go buying another car with a couple of simple issues like these. There a very helpful people and lots of guidance on these sites to help you.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

water seeping around the battery........I had meant the drain holes were blocked by leaves and that was why it was flooded one time, almost getting into the ECU compartment. Some guy told me when that happens, the water can seep into the space behind the dash and make sensors misbehave, or even damage them. Cleaning out the leaves should not be difficult and it's the first thing I'll do. I am giving your other points very serious consideration.........good and honest Audi mechanics are not that common in Hong Kong though.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

A lot of owners who cannot find a decent mechanic with the vag ( Volkswagen and Audi) software tools to interigate the modules and sensors end up buying their own. Being in Hong Kong you should investigate a decent vag scanning tool, plugs in under the dash and you can check all the sensors discussed below yourself sitting in the drivers seat. You need a vag scanner, not just an obd2. Lots on the market, don't go for the cheapest. Lots of discussions on these boards about VCDS and wi fi scanners.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know......I used to do a lot of stuff with my cars but now I can't do the physical bits.......we'll see.

Quick Reply: Head lights? Is it what it is .....thanks.