A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Headlights turning off unexpectedly in Auto mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights turning off unexpectedly in Auto mode

Aplogies if this has been asked and answered. I searched but did not find an answer.

I have a 2007 A4 Avant 3.2L, 131K miles. This evening driving home, people were flashing their lights at me. I always keep my headlight switch turned to Auto. It seems, however, that tonight my lights were turning off when they should have been on -- after dark and raining. The dash remained lit up, though, and since I was following another car, I could not immediately notice the headlights had turned off.

I ended up driving with them manually on (to the setting to the right of Auto) because whenever I switched to Auto, they would turn on for about a second and then shut off.

Is there something wrong with my sensor that it would not detect dark? If that is the case, why did the dash instruments stay lit?

Thank you!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

I believe the cluster lights are always on by default in North America B7's. Will need to do a VCDS scan to determine the status of your light sensor.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I just had it in for service about a month ago. So far the problem has not returned. I am constantly monitoring by looking at the road, reflective signs, and bumpers. They seem to be staying on.