A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Heavy oil smoke under accel!! SOS PLEASE HELP 9000$ in repairs not fixed still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy oil smoke under accel!! SOS PLEASE HELP 9000$ in repairs not fixed still!!!

Hello I have a problem case of a car...

2008 b7 A4 s-line multironic with 124,500mi arizona

I've had this b7 for 3 months and have only gotten to drive it maybe for three weeks total.

it has a new head on it with new cam tensioner / follower, because the old cam tensioner failed and broke my camshaft, bending all my valves and ruining the head.
upgraded fuel pump internal,
stage two+ revo. Jhm cat less downpipe,
new revised pcv valve installed today,
has new borg warner ko3 turbo and new pistons/ Total Seal upgraded rings.
Also has 4 new injectors, four new coil packs and new spark plugs one stage colder and gapped correctly, also has new head gasket.

Im 9000$ in repairs and the car is still pouring smoke and consuming a qt of oil every 200 miles or less!!!!! I'm lost for words! I feel so robbed.

The story of the car is so long too so I'll try to shorten it up. This vehicle was taken to the dealer its whole lifetime, never missed a service, I have paperwork for its whole lifetime, the previous owner had Audi of chandler replace the piston rings at 65,000, at 110,000 they replaced the turbo both times car was smoking and consuming oil. Also at 110,000 they replaced the pcv and n75 n80 valve. At 118.000 they replaced the pcv AGAIN stating that fixed the smoking issue. Well today I replaced the pcv again and it still did not fix my smoking issue and after all these repairs and parts /work done. I am baffled. I have a open claim with AOA for negligent repairs by the dealership, they said the cars smoking issue was fixed multiple times and the oil consumption should have been fixed which they also said it was fixed, but here I am now with a new turbo and basically new engine and still having this smoking issues / heavy oil consumption. I'm finally reaching out to the forums because I just feel so robbed, I'll admit it here I'm 17,000$ deep into a 2008 A4 I feel so awful.... please help....any questions and help would be appreciated I will answer any questions because a lot of work HAS been done already .
Old 11-16-2016, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am wondering if it is a leaking head gasket leading to the oil consumption. You mention the head gasket was changed, which makes sense as you'd need to do that when changing the cylinder head. What do you know about the new head - did it come from a wrecking yard? If for some reason the head or block needs machining that could be an issue too, but usually that happens when the engine overheated at some point, which is why I asked about the head.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The head we used came off a running A4 my performance shop had as a spare, it went to the machine shop, had all valve stems and seals checked. Also had the head cleaned and hot bathed. Performed compression check and leak down test after head and rings were put on with new head gasket, 180 psi held on all cyls. Put 80psi for the leakdown test and only lost 1% in all everything checked out ok.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What helps me rule out the leaking head gasket is it was having this same issue before the head was put on and before the catastrophic failures. I feel like it's something small happening somewhere.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does the car smoke constantly under acceleration or only after deceleration? Do you get a lot of smoke at start-up after the car has sat a while? Just trying to understand more about when you see the symptoms.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It smokes on startup pretty heavy plumes then goes away after 5-10 seconds, won't smoke on idle but once driving after 2000rpms the car will plume hard until I let off acceleration, which is right away, it makes some hard clicking noise somewhere in the engine bay I
Can't narrow it down where it's coming from.. the pcv is new, new rings, new head up to spec., new head gasket - never been overheated, new valve cover, n80 valve, new turbo.. lol, halp. Heh
Old 11-16-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rob Maldonado
It smokes on startup pretty heavy plumes then goes away after 5-10 seconds, won't smoke on idle but once driving after 2000rpms the car will plume hard until I let off acceleration, which is right away, it makes some hard clicking noise somewhere in the engine bay I
Can't narrow it down where it's coming from.. the pcv is new, new rings, new head up to spec., new head gasket - never been overheated, new valve cover, n80 valve, new turbo.. lol, halp. Heh
If you're getting a lot of smoke at startup after it has sat, that seems to me like oil draining into the cylinders while it is sitting. Since pretty much everything from the block up is new it's hard to say - I'm pretty stumped but will think about it some more. Hopefully someone will come to the rescue here.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

the old thinking was worn valve guides, that's pretty much the only way oil will get into the cylinders when it is sitting.... unless your block is upside down ;-)

Greg