A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

HELP! Audi A4 Cruise control stopped working suddenly! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Audi A4 Cruise control stopped working suddenly! HELP!

Hello Forum,

I own an audi a4 2.0, model 2006. It has a tiptronic CVT automatic gearbox.

I own this car for a year so far, the cruise control was working fine for over a year and I am a very frequent user for the cruise control.

Suddenly the cruise control stopped working, no light on dashboard when i activate it, and whatever i do with the **** nothing happens.

I understand that the clutch pedal switch is one of the common issues cause this problem, but I have automatic gear.

Can anyone help me of the possible cause.

Thank you.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Check the brake pedal switch? Check fuses?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for your reply, I checked fuses all working. My brake lights are engaging/disengaging normally, could the brake switch still be damaged?
Old 10-20-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with Kris, brake switch is the most common failure. In the last 2 years I have done 3 on 3 different VAG cars, an A4 (2005 clutch switch (basically the same), an A6 (2004 tiptronic) and on a VW (2008) with auto. Basically the same switch, all about 6 years old.

It could still be the switch even if the brake lights are working as if I recall correctly this has a 4 pin connection, so assume 2 pins for the brake light and 2 to tell the ECU the switch is engaged.

The good news is that if you decide to change it they are only like $15 each (genuine - from ECS, Europaparts etc)) and require no special tools, takes 5 minutes.

The only 'trick' to changing them is the switch has a thin plastic trigger that engages into a plastic cam inside the switch to adjust to the correct height with the brake lever. When you get the new switch, don't be tempted to play and push the trigger in, just leave it alone (yes mum!) at it's full extension, otherwise it might spin the cam to the higher position and not come back out far enough to engage with the pedal lever.

To install, - Remove the cover in the foot-well, push the brake pedal down a bit to get it away from the switch, twist the existing switch 90 degrees and it will come out of the housing. Disconnect plug. When you install the new one, just make sure you push the brake pedal down a bit so it does not foul on the plastic trigger until it is in the correct position. Plenty of people (and Audi apprentices!) try and just jam it in against the brake lever and either snap the trigger off, or push the trigger too far into the switch, resetting the height on the cam to the wrong position. When you release the brake pedal (gently), it will contact with the plastic trigger and push it in on the internal cam to the correct height. No external adjustment needed. Plug in the wiring, put the foot-well cover back, done.

I figured after 6 + years of duty, $15 was not bad for a part that gets a lot of movement. You could try removing and testing, but for the same effort, I put a new switch in.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Had the brake pads replaced. Cruise stopped working since then. (A4 B7 Quattro Manual).
Will check these two today.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do they have to disconnect the connector to replace brake pads?