A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

HELP! Lose, drifting driving...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Lose, drifting driving...

Apologies first of all if this is in the wrong section, literally only signed up 5 minutes ago!

Hoping someone can help, I have a 2007 A4 cab B7 1.8T which recently has started to feel like I'm driving on ice, or with strong cross winds. Primarily at high speed such as 70mph but also slightly at lower speeds too. I can be driving no problem then to car seems to ever and I feel like I'm about to lose control. At speed this is terrifying!

It needs constant correction and the best way to describe it is as if the wheels or steering column are lose, however I am not tetchy AT ALL. I had new tyres put on not so long ago, and these are now at 30% wear. Mechanic suggested to replace these with better quality but not quite sure that will resolve...

I've seen posts of people with similar problems but with no fix. Can anyone suggest or help?!

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2015, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming this was not a problem when you put the new tires on, something has changed, presumably with the wheel alignment, steering or suspension.

Check the tires first, the wear should be even across the tread. If it's worn on the inner or outer edge more than the centre, its a clue to your wheel alignment is out. ( I assume you have verified tire pressures are correct and even).

Suspension issues normally reveal themselves with noises, like a 'clunk' over rough roads, or a knocking feedback in the steering wheel which would throw the alignment out. You didn't mention this symptom so I would be starting with inspecting the steering joints, the rack, and the pump.

Does it feel like it suddenly wants to change direction? The steering joints should be nice and tight with no 'clicking' or movement. With the car stationary at idle, slowly rotate the steering wheel lock to lock. The feedback in the steering wheel should be constant, (no clicks or clunks!), if you feel something, have someone check the steering joints. (not the last mechanic!)

Does it feel like the steering has just become super light? The Power steering pump has a pressure relief valve inside the pump. The idea being it lets more power assist when you are at slow speed (parking) and less at high speed. If the valve is clogged, it's possible it's over-pressurising, (thinks your at parking speed) and the steering would become super light at high speed, which sounds more like what you are experiencing.

Most of the Audi power steering pumps are Saginaw anyway, so any steering shop could check the pump for you.

Next would be a worn rack & pinion. These usually last a lifetime so unless you have done a lot of miles, or if you have been driving on very rough roads it's not likely. Symptoms for a worn rack & pinion would be the car will track slightly off centre, but it should do it even at quite low speeds not just highway speeds.

Anyway, theres a start.