A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

My high pressure fuel pump just destroyed my camshaft and cyclinder head. Has any one had this problem and what can be done to fix it by Audi?? I have 80,000 miles but it is an 08. I drive alot for work and I dont believe I should have to pay for Audi's manufacturer defect.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealing with the same problem 2 threads above yours here. I bought the car with 38k on it and am at 58k now. Just found out last Friday my hpfp is probably cooked and possible cam damage. From being on the boards here and at audizine this has been a known problem by Audi and other a4 owners here with the B7's. I'm in the process of getting quotes now but not good. I have been told no more than a grand and about 5 hours of labor and then some say 1500-2000! And unfortunately that is what my mechanic is saying even though I have questioned him on his labor hours of approx.12 hours. I'm in Dallas area and heading to Chicago next week, might have Renn-art do the work if they can come in around a grand. My cel was on but I was thinking it was for the ig.coil recall and also needing the 55k service. Nice surprise I have been given. Just put new michelins on the car and dropped over 600 on the service and new d.valve. Let me know what happens on your end.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

It takes around 6 to 9 hours for an average tech to replace the intake camshaft and high pressure fuel pump follower (and high pressure fuel pump if it is damaged) on this 2.0L TFSI engine. The labor charge will depend on where you live. In my area, Audi dealer charges around 175 to 210 US$/hr. so $1500-2000 for the job is not high. If your car mileage is high, i would ask them to do timing belt and water pump at the same time to save some labor charge.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
It takes around 6 to 9 hours for an average tech to replace the intake camshaft and high pressure fuel pump follower (and high pressure fuel pump if it is damaged) on this 2.0L TFSI engine. The labor charge will depend on where you live. In my area, Audi dealer charges around 175 to 210 US$/hr. so $1500-2000 for the job is not high. If your car mileage is high, i would ask them to do timing belt and water pump at the same time to save some labor charge.
Well, They quoted me around $4,000 because of the cyclinder head is damaged. I am so mad because i was just about to get rid of the car. I am in disputes with audi because this is a manufactures defect. I am not pay that amount to get it fixed. Audi knew about the problem and did nothing about it to prevent it.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, They quoted me around $4,000 because of the cyclinder head is damaged. I am so mad because i was just about to get rid of the car. I am in disputes with audi because this is a manufactures defect. I am not pay that amount to get it fixed. Audi knew about the problem and did nothing about it to prevent it.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008 S-LINE
I am real sorry to hear about your problems as a result of the failure of the cam follower. Your thread has put an urgency to having mine looked at. I had already enquired at my dealer about two months ago about this known problem. Although my two-year extended warranty comes into effect at the end of this December, I'd still like to have it looked at to avoid the frustration of having the car fail at the wrong time and then have it sit at the dealers for days.

If the cam follower is found defective they would replace under the current warranty. If they open it up and find it is ok, then it is at my expense. However, I'd get them to replace it while they are there. The total estimate he gave was about $250 CDN if I have to pay. I think it is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I'll be bringing it in soon for its 70,000km (~45,000 miles) scheduled maintenance.

I really feel for you man, honestly .

The best of luck to you!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I found a shop down here for $70hourly, not sure if their any good so I am going to be cautious. Getting another quote tomorrow and supposed to have 2 others get back to me over the phone. I'll be sure to ask and see the parts for myself to see if all the damage is there.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by imtimmy
Thanks for the reply. I found a shop down here for $70hourly, not sure if their any good so I am going to be cautious. Getting another quote tomorrow and supposed to have 2 others get back to me over the phone. I'll be sure to ask and see the parts for myself to see if all the damage is there.
I agree be cautious. I would stongly suggest going to a shop that knows Audis or German cars at least. Also, a referral is always a plus .
Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default This sucks

I went to the dealer this mornng with all the serive information. Fred Baker Audi is going to try to helo but does not good good!! The Rep is being a piece of ****. I have had every service possible done to my car and this is third Audi. The local BMW dealership wants my busniess bad!!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2008 S-LINE
The local BMW dealership wants my busniess bad!!
Make sure Fred Baker Audi knows this, if they don't already.

Quick Reply: HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!