A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imtimmy
Sounds like you are saying there are A LOT of problems with Audi dependability and that people buy them so it is okay that they break and Audi doesn't back their product up?!? WTF are u saying? This is my 2nd Audi since '04, I had problems with that one too. The cam follower failure is happening to many VW owners too. There has been a TSB since '07 on this issue and more and more consumers are coming forth EVERYDAY. There is even a !@%!ing Facebook page on it with many complaints. In the end when a company doesn't back their product and try to fix the situation, in this case many vehicles that were or are under warranty, there is going to be obvious outrage and demand that the problem be fixed. This is a known defect since'07, they need to own it and back their ****. As for the other models that have problems, well go figure. Sounds like you work at a dealership and get paid to say "there are problems with our cars but they are great cars and we sell them" OXYMORON.
Only 12% of people that buy, lease or own these Audi models and model years have these problems. That is far from many. Facebook is no more reliable than these message boards are. CR and TD are, by far, the most reliable sources. And, no, I don't work for Audi. I just state the facts (something people on here tend to ignore or deny).
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by keithandstef
Is there any "warning" that the cam follower is going to go? And is there any way to tell when my Audi was made? It's a 2007 model, but when was it made within 2007? Trying to see if it's latter year.

Thanks.

I believe the date of manufacture is on the side of the door piller where the recommended tire pressures are located.

In my case, I have a 2008 A4, but it was manufacturered in late 2007, I believe in November.

I would recommend doing what I did. Buy a new Cam Follower for around $60, thru Audi Service, and have the HPFP removed, checking the Cam Follower for any wear, if any, and checking the Cam Lobe itself as well, and if everything is OK, replace the Cam Follower w/the new one, whether it needs it or not, all for around $170. If anything, simply for peace of mind.

If there is any noticiable wear or damage, this would be the time to catch it, whether for a warranty claim, or for saving some money w/the repairs.

It's my understanding that when it does fail totally, an engine warning light comes on, which means major repairs at that point.

When I asked my dealer about the issue, they simply said not to worry about it, in that an engine warning light will come on. That's probably OK if your still under warranty, but very expensive if you are not. In my case, I'm covered for 2 more years, or 100K miles, but I simply don't want it to fail at all, warranty or not.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GoHack
I would recommend doing what I did. Buy a new Cam Follower for around $60, thru Audi Service, and have the HPFP removed, checking the Cam Follower for any wear, if any, and checking the Cam Lobe itself as well, and if everything is OK, replace the Cam Follower w/the new one, whether it needs it or not, all for around $170. If anything, simply for peace of mind.

If there is any noticiable wear or damage, this would be the time to catch it, whether for a warranty claim, or for saving some money w/the repairs.

It's my understanding that when it does fail totally, an engine warning light comes on, which means major repairs at that point.
Sadly, that is not true. I bought a cam follower for mine, checked it, replaced it as it was punched right through. The fuel pump lobe is worn from direct contact with the cam, no doubt the cam is also damaged. Yet, I have no engine warning light and so the dealership are refusing to do anything. Despite my pictures of a damaged HPFP and cam follower matching what is in the TSB.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi and VW fanboys(and girls) will twist these facts which ever way they please to make them sound good. Bottom line is this, I've owned 2 1.8T VWs, and 1 2.0T Audi. A close friend of mine owns another 2.0T Audi. Sorry to say but ALL 4 were not even close to the reliability of my 2 toyotas, 1 honda and Ford.

I still love them and enjoy driving them but too many things fail. Every year I say to myself, "This is the year Audi/VW will be better reliability wise" I've been saying that since 2003.....

Actually the new golf 2.5s seems very promising..... so far 10000km and not even one issue! 2010 may be the year! lol
Old 02-25-2011, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Onearmedmidget
Audi and VW fanboys(and girls) will twist these facts which ever way they please to make them sound good. Bottom line is this, I've owned 2 1.8T VWs, and 1 2.0T Audi. A close friend of mine owns another 2.0T Audi. Sorry to say but ALL 4 were not even close to the reliability of my 2 toyotas, 1 honda and Ford.

I still love them and enjoy driving them but too many things fail. Every year I say to myself, "This is the year Audi/VW will be better reliability wise" I've been saying that since 2003.....

Actually the new golf 2.5s seems very promising..... so far 10000km and not even one issue! 2010 may be the year! lol
Obviously, you and your friend have (or had) lemons, incompetent dealers or any combination of both. CR and TD (which are far more trustworthy than a message board-sorry, but it's true, no and, butts or ifs about it) indicated that with a few exceptions, that the Volkswagen/Audi Group has indeed improved a lot. See my reply message to this topic (which was posted on 02-21-2011 at 12:30PM-7:30AM Eastern Standard Time) from earlier this week for full details to know the facts.

Last edited by Audi S5 TC; 02-25-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Certified but now failing four months later

I was an Audi enthusiast and bought my second Audi just months ago. I bought my 2005.5 A4 Quattro certified but was not able to purchase an extended warranty because they would not offer it although I wanted to purchase one. I looked over the service records and all oil changes were done on time by Audi. I am shocked that something like this can happen from Audi. I had high expectations of Audi and am in disbelief they didn't do a recall so that something like this doesn't happen to their customers. I will never buy an Audi again and if there is a class action due to their defective part please let me know. I am being quoted up to $2400 to repair my car. Audi knows about this and word from one service department is that sometimes if you write a letter to Audi they will pay a portion of your repair if you have it repaired at Audi but most of the time the letters go unanswered.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BrendaR
I was an Audi enthusiast and bought my second Audi just months ago. I bought my 2005.5 A4 Quattro certified but was not able to purchase an extended warranty because they would not offer it although I wanted to purchase one. I looked over the service records and all oil changes were done on time by Audi. I am shocked that something like this can happen from Audi. I had high expectations of Audi and am in disbelief they didn't do a recall so that something like this doesn't happen to their customers. I will never buy an Audi again and if there is a class action due to their defective part please let me know. I am being quoted up to $2400 to repair my car. Audi knows about this and word from one service department is that sometimes if you write a letter to Audi they will pay a portion of your repair if you have it repaired at Audi but most of the time the letters go unanswered.
It's like I said before, 12% of people have this problem. It needs to be a minimum of 20% before a recall is issued. With a few exceptions, this is not typical of Audi models, model years and trim levels from 1983 and prior, 1991 to 1997 and 2005 to present (including the 2005.5+ B platform vehicles), despite what some North American Audi financiers, leasers and owners on AudiWorld and other Audi message boards would lead (or mislead) people to believe.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Call Audi of America 877-615-2834

Hello,

I'm sorry to welcome you to this unfortunate club but you're in good company. We are all people who like to drive high performing cars and thought that we were buying one (or two in your case) from a company that would stand behind them.

Wait, doesn't the term "certified? mean something? You paid a higher premium because the car was certified and then it breaks on you. This is something that should absolutely be included in a "certified" inspection. Cars that are "certified pre-owned Audis" go for at least $5k more than what a private seller can sell theirs for.

If you established a good relationship with your Audi dealer while you owned your first car, I would go to them and ask them for a discount first. I was quoted $2400 as well and, in the end, it was my dealership (not the one I bought the car from but the one that serviced it from day one) that helped me out, not Audi of America. That being said, if you don't have a relationship with a specific Audi dealership, instead of writing a letter, I suggest calling Audi of America. It took me at least 20 calls (remain calm and respectful, make them understand how irresponsible it is for them not to take care of this problem. Yelling at them gets you nowhere.) They did call me back when they said they would and usually had mixed information.

The customer service number I have is 877-615-2834. I spoke to both Antwan and Maureen. They were both very nice. I can't say that they were especially helpful but I think that Audi of America hearing from as many people as possible with this issue, the more likely they are to institute a recall.

If this class action suit moves forward, I will let you know!
All the best,
PiscesXXI

Originally Posted by BrendaR
Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default update

Originally Posted by PiscesXXI
Hello,

I'm sorry to welcome you to this unfortunate club but you're in good company. We are all people who like to drive high performing cars and thought that we were buying one (or two in your case) from a company that would stand behind them.

Wait, doesn't the term "certified? mean something? You paid a higher premium because the car was certified and then it breaks on you. This is something that should absolutely be included in a "certified" inspection. Cars that are "certified pre-owned Audis" go for at least $5k more than what a private seller can sell theirs for.

If you established a good relationship with your Audi dealer while you owned your first car, I would go to them and ask them for a discount first. I was quoted $2400 as well and, in the end, it was my dealership (not the one I bought the car from but the one that serviced it from day one) that helped me out, not Audi of America. That being said, if you don't have a relationship with a specific Audi dealership, instead of writing a letter, I suggest calling Audi of America. It took me at least 20 calls (remain calm and respectful, make them understand how irresponsible it is for them not to take care of this problem. Yelling at them gets you nowhere.) They did call me back when they said they would and usually had mixed information.

The customer service number I have is 877-615-2834. I spoke to both Antwan and Maureen. They were both very nice. I can't say that they were especially helpful but I think that Audi of America hearing from as many people as possible with this issue, the more likely they are to institute a recall.

If this class action suit moves forward, I will let you know!
All the best,
PiscesXXI
Thanks! I called Audi and told them my story and was told to take my car to the dealership to be inspected and was given a reference number. She said that Audi will do something for me but that she cannot say how much until my car is inspected and the dealer gets back with her today. I was given a rental car and should know something today.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good luck BrendaR. Hopefully AoA can do something to help you out, so far my dealings with them have been useless. My cam follower is worn through entirely, and has damaged the fuel pump and cam. The dealership told me they can do nothing without a check engine light, I called AoA, they told me they can't do anything about it either without a check engine light.

I am still under CPO warranty, and think it is crazy that neither the dealership or AoA are willing to repair my car until a check engine light comes on.

This is my first Audi, and while the car has been fine other than this problem, the dealerships and so far AoA are doing everything they can to make sure I never buy, or recommend one again.

Quick Reply: HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!