A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Introduction & question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction & question

Hello guys,

Young Irish lad here saying hello from across the seas.

So, heres my story. I've been looking and looking online,local adds and car markets for my perfect Audi TDI, 2005/6 model with around 100,000 miles or so.

It's driving me crazy with the stories I hear from some people and I am looking for the right answers, so, here I am.

Firstly;
Im after the diesel model so it all started with a local mechanic saying to watch out for the dual mass clutch that needs replacing around 100,000/120,k. Ok so do I try get an A4 with the clutch replaced or??

Secondly I've heard the 2.0L model 05 is a no no! something to do with the oil pump and timing chain set up being costly to repair? To try get a 1.9 or perhaps 2006 gear set up?

so now im looking at a 2006 Mint cond TDI TDV.....I've done some reading and TDV = Technology Development vehicle. What are they and are they yay or nay?

I know im being paranoid but I've sold my bikes and turning it all into a good car to get me back on my feet so I'm trying to buy a good car. Everybody I talk to has so many different opinions so here I am hoping for some much needed sleep.

lastly, can you give me any other advice on what to look out for or check? I'll be buying the A4 in the UK maybe from a garage and bringing back to Ireland.

Thanks for any information in advance
Shifty
Old 09-18-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ah sweet, thanks for the help lads
Old 09-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Shifty 164
ah sweet, thanks for the help lads
Yea I hate when that happens too

Could be that there are not as many TDI owners here in the states, and getting a answer may not be as quick as you may think.

Best advice I can offer is that being your looking for an Audi (no matter the specs) I would suggest trying to make maintenance as large a part of the value as you would the year, miles or KM driven, and even paint etc as catching up on service the previous owner may have avoided to save $ could cost you big. Oh and stay away from anything with a CVT transmission, but I suspect that would not be something you would find often there with a diesel.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by LennyD
Yea I hate when that happens too

Could be that there are not as many TDI owners here in the states, and getting a answer may not be as quick as you may think.

Best advice I can offer is that being your looking for an Audi (no matter the specs) I would suggest trying to make maintenance as large a part of the value as you would the year, miles or KM driven, and even paint etc as catching up on service the previous owner may have avoided to save $ could cost you big. Oh and stay away from anything with a CVT transmission, but I suspect that would not be something you would find often there with a diesel.
Thanks Lenny, atleast I know I'm not invisible here.
I really cant get an answer to the TDI TDV models with anyone. I have heard the 2.0ltr model early 05's are dodgy oil pump belt models.
You guys in the states should really get onto the diesel cars. Much better mileage per gallon but petrol is cheaper there.
Thanks anyway Lenny

and if anyone else seems to know, please pass on the advice. Got the euros here ready to spend. Waiting for the ferry dates and im off to england from ireland!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Shifty 164
Thanks Lenny, atleast I know I'm not invisible here.
I really cant get an answer to the TDI TDV models with anyone. I have heard the 2.0ltr model early 05's are dodgy oil pump belt models.
You guys in the states should really get onto the diesel cars. Much better mileage per gallon but petrol is cheaper there.
Thanks anyway Lenny

and if anyone else seems to know, please pass on the advice. Got the euros here ready to spend. Waiting for the ferry dates and im off to england from ireland!
It's more about the much higher initial cost for diesel model's, and the fact they just don't offer as many here.

Actually vw/audi probably has one of the larger diesel offerings.