A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

iPhone 5 connection cable

Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone 5 connection cable

Hello-

I'm new to the site. I have a 2009 A4 convertible with navigation. I am trying to find out what cable I need to connect my iPhone 5 to the car. When I open my glove box there are two compartments along the top. The one on the left has a hard plastic surface with a thin horizontal connection port projecting out from the back of the compartment. I can't really tell if this is a female or male type of connection. It is very thin, and seems similar to the end of a cable used for an iPhone 4. My question is how can I connect this to my iPhone 5? I would like to be able to access and control the music on my phone through the radio controls and steering wheel controls. Thanks for any help.

Okii
Old 09-29-2013, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

You need two things to hook up the iPhone 5:

1) AMI cable for Apple from Audi (for iPhones, get the AMI cable with the red grommet for Album art, not the blue grommet)
2) Lightning to 30 pin adapter or Lightning to 30 pin adapter cable from Apple
Old 09-30-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for responding. I have the 30-pin to lightening adapter from Apple. Do you have the part number for the AMI cable with red grommet? Also, the cables I've seen online have the 30-pin connector at a 90 degree angle to the cable. I'm not sure if it will fit down into the claim partner where the built in connector is located in the glove box.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is the cable I've seen. As you can see the one connector is 90 degrees to the cable. This end has to fit down to the back of the compartment in the glove box.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You need two things to hook up the iPhone 5:

1) AMI cable for Apple from Audi (for iPhones, get the AMI cable with the red grommet for Album art, not the blue grommet)
2) Lightning to 30 pin adapter or Lightning to 30 pin adapter cable from Apple
My pictures didn't upload the last time. So I'm trying again. These pictures are of the compartment in the glove box that has some type of connector in the back. I've also attached a pic of the cable I've seen advertised for the iphone. Not sure if this will connect to what is in the glove box. Final pic is of my head unit in the car. Is there something missing in the glove box that is needed to be able to use the cable?
Attached Images    
Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Okii
My pictures didn't upload the last time. So I'm trying again. These pictures are of the compartment in the glove box that has some type of connector in the back. I've also attached a pic of the cable I've seen advertised for the iphone. Not sure if this will connect to what is in the glove box. Final pic is of my head unit in the car. Is there something missing in the glove box that is needed to be able to use the cable?
Sorry, I missed that you had a 2009 A4 Cabriolet which is not a B8 A4 but a B7 series ('09 A4 sedans were B8s). Your photos seem to show a receptacle for a CD or DVD player and not an AMI cable. I don't believe the B7 2009 A4 Cabriolet came with AMI cable compatibility. You might need to find an aftermarket solution to use your iPhone to play through your audio system. Is there an SD card slot or an Aux input? If so, either could be a solution to playing music to the car.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. I've been checking the web/YouTube and found aftermarket products by USA SPEC and Dension that will provide an iPod/iPhone compatible connection for Audi. Anybody have any experience with these products?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well I was able to connect my iPhone 4 to the connector in the photo. If I go to CD6 on the radio, I ge a track list from my phone. Just a track number. No playlists, no artist identification, no album description. With my bare phone connected, I can't close the glove box door. The phone projects too far out.