A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Need help with price of used 2006 a4 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with price of used 2006 a4 2.0T

Hi guys, sorry if I'm doing something wrong I'm A) new to this site and B) not too familiar with forums.
Anyway, lets get down to business.
So I absoultely fell in love witht his audi when i saw it and have been looking for a good a4 for a while now, my dad is very skeptical about buying used cars and doesn't believe me when i tell him that if the car is well maintained ti can last up to 200k even 300k miles. Also as I have done enough research I can't help but notice that this car is very under priced, and you'll notice he claims to have all the repairs done and even has extra things

Leaving Facebook...

My dad said if the car has no problems and everything is ok then we can get it. The problem is I just called the guy this morning and he said someone is coming to check the car out tonight and is driving 2 hours to see it, so he thinks he buyer is probably going to take it. Also while i was speaking with him on the phone he even dropped the price to 6k. He said i would have to put a deposit on the car if he wanted me to hold it for me so no one would buy it. I just want to see if any audi a4 savi people out there can check out the specs on the car and tell me if its ok because I can't seem to find anything wrong and the price is ridiculously cheap. new sound system? new tires?brakes?rims?etc, etc, he even did the timing belt and water pump, etc so it has just been serviced. Is it worth rushing through today to get to him and put the deposit down? I am in LOVE with this car, I mean where have you seen a package like this before? Thanks so much guys.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

After market sound systems, blah. Wheels, tires, brakes and such things are the least of worries on an a4. Honestly, with respect to your/dad's hard earned money and my owners experience of two A4s I wouldn't trust you to a4 shop alone. After a hard look and possibly a scan you could probably find at least $2000 of work that needs to be done.

Spend more time on the forums, do your research. Ask yourself what are you going to do about the repairs. Are you good at wrenching? Do you see yourself removing the entire front end off to change the timing belt?

A seller is a seller. Just by the way he worded the description and that stereo system I can tell you that this guy probably isn't a Audi fanatic and maybe hiding the fact that this car is a cvt transmission. CVTs aren't bad, but they're not for a tune happy driver, nowadays which kid isn't? Unless that you can have AUDI documentation of the service on the CVT, I wouldn't recommend you getting that car. 2006 a4 cvts are the last year before there was the transmission revision. If you are thinking about tuning then the car you mentioned should be out of the picture.

I could go on. Just do some more research, in fact look below a few posts on a similar question. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey thanks for the nice response, yeah I'm studying these cars as I find something I like, but basically I have a $5-8k budget so I'm really trying to find something I like (Audi or BMW) but at the same time it has to fall in that budget and look nice....Obviously this is playing out to be harder than I anticipated so I appreciate the help. I didn't end up getting the car and now I'm looking at another a4, which is the same price but the dealership says they dont have record of the timing belt being changed, its 132k miles, so obviously it has been changed, but in general its just kind of a fishy feeling. I've actually started looking into 2005-2006 BMW 3 series at this point just because I'm having so much trouble finding a good Audi in that price range here in the St. Petersburg Florida area. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

No offense, but with the budget you're working with, you would likely be better served avoiding the hi performance German models. A car that age could easily become a huge money pit with cost of parts (and labor if you're not a DIYselfer) in the thousands, well exceeding the car's purchase price. IMO, you could be better served using that budget on a more reliable and more recent vintage brand with lower miles. In time down the road, you'll be able to obtain a newer Audi with less potential downside.