A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

OBD Scanner Ross-Tech So Confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD Scanner Ross-Tech So Confused

So I've decided I'm done with the dealership. Mention a possible issue he writes it down and suddenly hello, $150 just for diagnostics. I wanted a scanner, I got one of those bluetooth things for $10 on Amazon, it doesn't give me fault codes. So I got a VAG scanner, $40 and if I run codes on almost anything but engine or air bags it comes up "No Faults Stored" but the run codes on Engine or Air Bag doesn't return any results at all. So I'm looking into it and I have no idea what I've gotten myself into. Does anyone have a good set up? I saw a thread from 2009 about a cord that you put into your computer and you get some software from ross tech or something and you can what? I have no idea how to set this up, their website leaves a bit to be desired. What do you guys do? Or am I being nuts?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

Pay the $$$ and buy the USB-HEX+CAN cable from Ross-Tech. It will pay for itself the first time you use it. I also use my cable to help folks in my local Audi club and they typically give me a dozen root beer for the time I spend.

it's a great way to connect with local enthusiasts.

if you identify where you are located, maybe someone close by can offer to help you out.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

what's so different about the ross-tech at $350 vs a $30 one at ecstuning.com?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

Ross-Tech writes the VCDS software, it has always worked with their cable and they provide full technical support. Everything else can have the type of problem you are getting; who do you get to help you when whatever device you get cheaper doesn't work the way you expect it to.

I don't have any connection to Ross-Tech (am just a very happy customer) but if you look through most Audi foruums you will find a ton of questions ref other cables /devices not working as marketed. All depends on if you consider the time you spend trying to get a device/cable working is worth anything to you, especially if you have a deadline for getting something repaired. YMMV.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also support the Ross tech VCDS. A standard scanner won't do what you need on a VAG car, so as a minimum you need a VAG specific scanner. There are a few on the market, I started with an Autel VAG505. This is a good handheld scanner as I have compared the scans with the VCDS and it finds ALL the same codes, lets you reset service intervals etc. The benefit of the VCDS is that you can do more, change things and do adaptations etc. It's not cheap as its bridging between the DIY and a full pro scanner but if you have made the decision to stop using the dealer for servicing and repairs then the first job you do pays for the software cost.

I am not associated with either product, the VCDS is now used, the VAG505 in the tool kit when on trips as I don't need a laptop.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My brother in law was like "Why don't you just take it by Auto Zone?" Hmm...worth a trip.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Auto Zone have a VAG code scanner not just an OBD2 then go for it.
I think you will find it is just an OBD2 scan which will only give you the basics and only on the engine. great if you already have a CEL on and need to know why. A VAG scanner will give you everything so you can see sensors that are giving codes before the engine light comes on and it will scan the transmission, steering, door locks etc etc.

You don't have to buy the VCDS. Buy a proper VAG scanner and it will give you the error codes without the higher functionality of the VCDS. I have lent my Autel VAG505 to lots of friends, they run the scan themselves, code reset, do oil and service resets. I note on Amazon its cheaper than the $150 you were quoted and you get the tool. I can only talk to the Autel Vs VCDS as I have both and the comparison to the VCDS gives all the same error codes. I am sure someone else has compared other cheaper devices.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I actually ordered from that website the mini. We shall see as it's shipping says "please wait 6 to 30000000 weeks" I'll repost once it gets here.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If you don't want to "dig out your laptop" Ross-Tech also has a solution:

Ross-Tech Store: VCDS License with HEX-NET (WiFi/USB) 10 VINs (All VAG)