A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

P0171 DTC with intermittent rough idle and strong fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0171 DTC with intermittent rough idle and strong fuel smell

Wife's car.DTC came on yesterday.Scanned at auto parts store and got P0171.Searched the forum and found out it could be several causes.MAF,PCV,vacuum leak etc.I did notice when I was looking for leaks that the engine started to run rough and there was a strong fuel odor.I unplugged the MAF then plugged it back in a couple of times and it seemed to correct itself.Removed MAF and cleaned with electrical spray.Code is still there but the car runs fine.How many key cycles will it take for the CEL to clear? Would the fuel smell indicate a bad coil pack or a bad MAF sensor?Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.Thanks for any help.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any takers?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vtsquid
Wife's car.DTC came on yesterday.Scanned at auto parts store and got P0171.Searched the forum and found out it could be several causes.MAF,PCV,vacuum leak etc.I did notice when I was looking for leaks that the engine started to run rough and there was a strong fuel odor.I unplugged the MAF then plugged it back in a couple of times and it seemed to correct itself.Removed MAF and cleaned with electrical spray.Code is still there but the car runs fine.How many key cycles will it take for the CEL to clear? Would the fuel smell indicate a bad coil pack or a bad MAF sensor?Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.Thanks for any help.
ive gone through similar issues.
advice Ive been given:

-get and run full vcds. generic codes are, well, too generic.
-fuel smell only at cold start or always smells ?
-google, fuel trim for audi model. trim deals with fuel/ air mixture sort and long term. some good yt videos. too much fuel could be OR too little air. either causes fuel trim issues. stuck injector for too much fuel. vacuum leak for too much air.
-do easy stuff first. check all hoses above and below, over and under, inside and out. see Scotty Limer for an easy smoke test to find air leaks.
-check for any fluids dripping under engine.
- just some starting points from a greenhorn
Old 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks.Had the plastic cover off last night and did not see any obvious damage to hoses which would cause any vacuum leaks.I am leaning towards ruling out the PCV valve since it was replaced within the last 20k miles.Was hoping someone on here could narrow it down based on some of the clues I provided.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default same issue

Originally Posted by vtsquid
Thanks.Had the plastic cover off last night and did not see any obvious damage to hoses which would cause any vacuum leaks.I am leaning towards ruling out the PCV valve since it was replaced within the last 20k miles.Was hoping someone on here could narrow it down based on some of the clues I provided.

my mother has the same issues going on. did you ever figure out what it was? thanks!

also, what engine was this on? FSI? or TFSI?