A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

P2181 Coolant Performance Issue - Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. The heater is working normal and when the fans are blowin like this the temperature stays on the c and when it's not its right in the middle .. I changed the sensor and the thermostat this weekend and so far so good !
Old 01-24-2020, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling system performance

Originally Posted by x05179x
Hi,

I am hoping some can give me a few suggestions on the issue I keep having with my 2008 A4 2.0T. The car has roughly 60,000 miles on it. About 5,000 miles ago, the check engine light came on and I scanned the OBD port with a scanner. The code that came up was P2181 Coolant System Performance. A lot of folks suggested replacing the coolant temp sensor. Audi seemed to think that the car has Two Sensors - a gray and green. I believe I replaced the green one. It was on the passengers side of the motor near the firewall. I didn't get a code again for another few thousand miles. Now the check engine light comes back on, same code (P2181) and I cannot figure this out. The temp gauge read about 1/4. Which seems on the low side. It rarely gets slightly above quarter. However, the car blows hot air inside the car.

So, if the gauge never gets to 1/2 and the car blows hot air could it be the thermostat? Is there really two temp sensors? Does someone know where the other one is located.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott
Hi, was wondering what what the problem and how it was fixed? I have an 2008 Audi A4 and I’m having the same problem
The following users liked this post:
Kris3527 (10-27-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Question

Originally Posted by emanuel1331
Thanks for the reply. The heater is working normal and when the fans are blowin like this the temperature stays on the c and when it's not its right in the middle .. I changed the sensor and the thermostat this weekend and so far so good !
HEY how difficult was it?? On a 1-5??
Old 06-08-2021, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by x05179x
Hi,

I am hoping some can give me a few suggestions on the issue I keep having with my 2008 A4 2.0T. The car has roughly 60,000 miles on it. About 5,000 miles ago, the check engine light came on and I scanned the OBD port with a scanner. The code that came up was P2181 Coolant System Performance. A lot of folks suggested replacing the coolant temp sensor. Audi seemed to think that the car has Two Sensors - a gray and green. I believe I replaced the green one. It was on the passengers side of the motor near the firewall. I didn't get a code again for another few thousand miles. Now the check engine light comes back on, same code (P2181) and I cannot figure this out. The temp gauge read about 1/4. Which seems on the low side. It rarely gets slightly above quarter. However, the car blows hot air inside the car.

So, if the gauge never gets to 1/2 and the car blows hot air could it be the thermostat? Is there really two temp sensors? Does someone know where the other one is located.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott
So....is there 2 different sensors? That's the only part confusing me. I know there's one at the passenger side rear of the engine but is there another . And should I replace the sensor(s) first then see if my code stays off or should I automatically replace the thermostat?
Old 05-16-2022, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Same issue

I am have the same issue. Fans are always running on high speed, I changed my water pump, fans and fan module, and auxiliary pump. Could this be wiring? And if so where?
Old 05-19-2022, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

2006 B7 A4 quattro 2.0T 215k miles. Third owner and head muckity muck.
Kel,
Sort of the same thing happened to me upon refilling the cooling system after some maintenance. The fans would run all the time. Turns out it was a trapped air bubble in the system.
To purge air:
From cold,
  • remove coolant reservoir cap.
  • start car
  • set cabin heater to max temp
  • set cabin fan to low
  • let car warm up to normal operation temp (temp gauge needle at center of span)
  • top up coolant as needed.
  • shut off car
  • reinstall reservoir cap.
  • let system cool naturally to ambient
  • it may take a few tries.

Last edited by Hayabusafalcon; 05-19-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Tthank you so much! Does car have to be running or just on, without pressing breaks I mean.

Originally Posted by Hayabusafalcon
2006 B7 A4 quattro 2.0T 215k miles. Third owner and head muckity muck.
Kel,
Sort of the same thing happened to me upon refilling the cooling system after some maintenance. The fans would run all the time. Turns out it was a trapped air bubble in the system.
To purge air:
From cold,
  • remove coolant reservoir cap.
  • start car
  • set cabin heater to max temp
  • set cabin fan to low
  • let car warm up to normal operation temp (temp gauge needle at center of span)
  • top up coolant as needed.
  • shut off car
  • reinstall reservoir cap.
  • let system cool naturally to ambient
  • it may take a few tries.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kel,
Yes definitely start the engine.

The procedure is common to many VW's and Audi's. It worked for both my A4 2.0T and our Jetta 2.0

Or, you can simply drive around under light throttle too if you like. Drive it around the block a few times. But then let it cool down completely. It may take repeated cycles but this does work.
See my link below:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...-came-3033700/

(Or you could use the Audi purge tool. But you probably don't have that tool. I don't either.)

Last edited by Hayabusafalcon; 05-21-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you appreciate your help in this. I never worked on any cars before, the reservoir cap is the cap on the coolant container correct? That has the pink liquid.

Originally Posted by Hayabusafalcon
Kel,
Yes definitely start the engine.

The procedure is common to many VW's and Audi's. It worked for both my A4 2.0T and our Jetta 2.0

Or, you can simply drive around under light throttle too if you like. Drive it around the block a few times. But then let it cool down completely. It may take repeated cycles but this does work.
See my link below:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...-came-3033700/

(Or you could use the Audi purge tool. But you probably don't have that tool. I don't either.)
Old 05-21-2022, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes.
Careful. Do not attempt removing cap if engine is hot.

Quick Reply: P2181 Coolant Performance Issue - Suggestions??