A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

please help....should i buy this 07 A4 s-line CVT

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help....should i buy this 07 A4 s-line CVT

i have a chance to buy an 07 A4 2.0T FronTrak w/ CVT tranny. i have read a lot of horror stories regarding the CVT transmissions, however my research has shown me the major problems were with 02-06 models, and that the transmission was upgraded with better reliability and durability in 07. the car has 150k on it, immaculate condition out of florida, black on black, drives perfect as of now. brand new pads and rotors all around, fresh oil and filter change, blah blah blah.

am i taking a huge risk buying this car?? i would be buying outright so i wouldn't have a loan or monthly payment on it. i am willing to take the extra steps/money and keep up with the maintenance, fluid changes, service. i am handy with the wrench so i will do whatever i can on my own if i am able. i just would like more information on the reliability of the newer/revised CVT transmissions. this is my only concern with this car. any help, advice, concerns you may have to offer would be appreciated.

NOTE: PLEASE!!!! don't comment regarding any experience you may have had with an 02-04 model as i am not interested in that....there was a class action lawsuit filed and won against Audi because of the faulty CVT's. i know those tranny's suck. i am looking for info/experiences on 2007+ CVT's. thank you!!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's your money, but I avoided the CVT models when I was looking for mine because I didn't want to chance having to thousands above the already high maint etc.

I was considering a Cabrio though as it was low miles and priced really right, but in the end the CVT scared me away.

Did test a few and they were all showing signs of problems (long shifts, weird downshifts and clunks etc).

One other thing I would put a good amount of importance to is if they show multiple fluid changes at that mileage, and especially coming from a state that has normally elevated temps that also put extra stress on fluids.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

well i test drove this car and i felt nothing of the sort. that CVT tranny was smooth as can be!! highway, city, stop and go....i was actually very impressed. you would never gues this car had the mileage it has buy the condition and driveability. and believe me, i have been checking out alot of used audi's lately. there was only one major owner on this car who owned it from 4,000mi up until 141,000mi. i am actually trying to contact them to find out more info. i also have a friend who works for an Audi dealership obtaining all service records for me today. first thing i would do is change the trans fluid if i did buy it just for peace of mind.

i have been reading more and more about the 07+ and i'm hard pressed to find any horror stories about these newer version CVT's.