A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Replacing rear door blades, cost to paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear door blades, cost to paint?

My two rear door blades are bulging off the door, when I removed them I found that they were rusted inside and falling apart. It's a DIY project as i've ordered two new ones from a dealer with a discount parts website however I will need to bring them to a body shop to be painted. What is a reasonable price I should pay for someone to paint two small door blades? I don't even need them to install them, they slide in and secure with two screws. Thanks for any feedback
Attached Thumbnails Replacing rear door blades, cost to paint?-img_6140.jpg   Replacing rear door blades, cost to paint?-img_6144.jpg  
Old 12-16-2016, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same problem

Originally Posted by Chinaski
My two rear door blades are bulging off the door, when I removed them I found that they were rusted inside and falling apart. It's a DIY project as i've ordered two new ones from a dealer with a discount parts website however I will need to bring them to a body shop to be painted. What is a reasonable price I should pay for someone to paint two small door blades? I don't even need them to install them, they slide in and secure with two screws. Thanks for any feedback
I am having this exact same problem. They have progressively bulged out further and further to the point where the hit the front door when I try to open the rear door. I'm actually PISSED about it since it's a 2008 and the door blades shouldn't be rusting out. The dealer is selling them for $270 each (outrageous) so I'm kind of At a stand still. I do not want to spend that much on something that I shouldn't even be having problems with. Wtf do you think caused it?
Old 12-17-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jlowr5
I am having this exact same problem. They have progressively bulged out further and further to the point where the hit the front door when I try to open the rear door. I'm actually PISSED about it since it's a 2008 and the door blades shouldn't be rusting out. The dealer is selling them for $270 each (outrageous) so I'm kind of At a stand still. I do not want to spend that much on something that I shouldn't even be having problems with. Wtf do you think caused it?
Mine rusted internally (car was in Central NY, just moved to FL). Another Audi owner I ran into up there had the same thing happen. Interestingly the fronts weren't a problem in both cases. Mine got as bad as yours that opening the rear passenger side door it would rub the front door. I bit the bullet and the total repair cost was $595 ($204/blade + $38 shipping from San Diego Audi discount parts counter and I found a good body shop that painted them up for $75/ea). The biggest issue is VW/Audi parts are obnoxiously expensive. I had a '93 VW Corrado years ago where I sold the car based on it having more frequent problems and the parts cost. Right now my A4 is running well, but if she starts having problems i'll sell it.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Chinaski
Mine rusted internally (car was in Central NY, just moved to FL). Another Audi owner I ran into up there had the same thing happen. Interestingly the fronts weren't a problem in both cases. Mine got as bad as yours that opening the rear passenger side door it would rub the front door. I bit the bullet and the total repair cost was $595 ($204/blade + $38 shipping from San Diego Audi discount parts counter and I found a good body shop that painted them up for $75/ea). The biggest issue is VW/Audi parts are obnoxiously expensive. I had a '93 VW Corrado years ago where I sold the car based on it having more frequent problems and the parts cost. Right now my A4 is running well, but if she starts having problems i'll sell it.
I discovered the rust inside the panel after I took it off as well. And my front door panels are just fine! I'm hoping a b7 rolls through the pick a part without any side collision damage so I can ****** the panels off It for cheap. The previous owner of my car didn't pay the car much attention as far as general maintainance so I have a lot to catch up on that my wallet is dumping into so I don't have time or money for side panels haha. I guess rusty rear door panels are a b7 thing. The only other thing I'm having problems with is bouncing rpms, but I'm convinced a new fuel filter will solve that (hopefully). These high mile cars are a lot of work sometimes!!