A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Just purchased 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Auto

Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Auto

I am new to German Cars, but I absolutley love what Audi has been doing the last 10 years. When my 16 year old got his licence it was time to pass the 2006 Pathfinder onto my wife and shop for a fun to drive car that got better mileage than the Nissan. I drive a crapload of miles for my job a week. I purchased a 2007 A4 Avant with 63k on the odo, an auto tranny and a 2 liter turbo. This car is bone stock. I have a couple of questions about this car I hope some of you that are very familiar with the car can answer.
- Is excessive break dust on the rear wheels only, common? I am unsure as I purchased this preowned from a dealer and dont know if they simply used crappy pads on the rear. One week of driving and the rear wheels are black and the fronts are still clean.
-How long on average does the turbo perform as it should until it needs replacement. With no boost guage in the car and never having driven more than 2 of them, it is difficult to know if the car is making all of its power.
-What are common issues with this model and year I need to look out for and actions to take to avoid if possible?

I love the car and plan to keep it for awhile. I hope to plus 1 upgrade the wheels soon when replacing the tires. I would also like to drop the car a couple inches as well. If I can convince the wife, I want to spent a little of the kids college money on making more power as well.I look forward to discussing cars and learning more about the A4.
Thanks,
Birdstalker1
Old 05-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have fun with it, I have an '06 a4 and am looking at a 2.0t avant myself.
Brake dust is very common on these cars, although mine is always worse on the front. I recently put Stoptech rotors and pads on my car and they better. But yes, it's common to have more brake dust than on other makes. Could be cheap pads, but I've always used factory until the Stoptechs and they have always been dusty.
Turbo should last for a long time as long as you take care of it. Don't stand on it until the engine temp is at normal and after running it hard, let it idle for at least 1 minute before turning the car off. Take car of the rest of the engine and the turbo will last. I am still learning about the boost part of my car, but with a 91 octane APR tune it's pretty decent. My friend has a Revo tune in his VW GTI and think it might have a bit more punch, but it could be the Quattro compared to a Front-wheel drive.
My A4 has been easy to maintain. I've had problems with my cutoff valve and coilpacks, both are not expensive to fix on your own.
Running 18s and a Koni SS suspension on mine, good combination of rigid, comfortable and low in my opinion. Some don't like to + wheels or change suspension. Visually though, I like it.

enjoy
Old 05-15-2014, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by kidkwattro
Have fun with it, I have an '06 a4 and am looking at a 2.0t avant myself.
Brake dust is very common on these cars, although mine is always worse on the front. I recently put Stoptech rotors and pads on my car and they better. But yes, it's common to have more brake dust than on other makes. Could be cheap pads, but I've always used factory until the Stoptechs and they have always been dusty.
Turbo should last for a long time as long as you take care of it. Don't stand on it until the engine temp is at normal and after running it hard, let it idle for at least 1 minute before turning the car off. Take car of the rest of the engine and the turbo will last. I am still learning about the boost part of my car, but with a 91 octane APR tune it's pretty decent. My friend has a Revo tune in his VW GTI and think it might have a bit more punch, but it could be the Quattro compared to a Front-wheel drive.
My A4 has been easy to maintain. I've had problems with my cutoff valve and coilpacks, both are not expensive to fix on your own.
Running 18s and a Koni SS suspension on mine, good combination of rigid, comfortable and low in my opinion. Some don't like to + wheels or change suspension. Visually though, I like it.

enjoy
Scott,
Thanks for the info. I will try the rotor and pad upgrade on my brake job. I will look into the APR tune as well.
I am coming out of a Pathfinder that rides harsher than most 4x4 1500 pickups I have driven. This little Audi has a firm but plush ride in comparison. I had my eyes on the 18"
Momo Drones and the Tenzo-R type-MV1s but I cannot quite decide what would compliement the car better. One wheel is classier while the other is flashier. I cant friggin decide. You gotta love the choices out there. Do you have any pics online of the 06?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We put TSW Nurburgrings on our A6. I like those a lot, solid wheels. The rs6 replicas you can see in my garage here: https://forums.audiworld.com/garage/...idkwattro.html . The style of the Drones has grown on me some recently. The suspension I have is fairly rigid, but not so rigid that our infant doesn't sleep when she's in the car. There are a lot of wheel choices for these cars anything for any budget.