A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

So i'm looking to buy a 06-08 A4 and could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i'm looking to buy a 06-08 A4 and could use some advice

Hello all, i'm new here obviously but I was looking for some imparted wisdom by some of you folks if I could. I've been fervently obsessed with A4s now for a few years, and recently I have strongly decided to attempt to purchase one if the correct situation presented itself. I currently have an 09 Cobalt, and while a reliable vehicle, it just doesn't "do it" for me. I spend a lot of time in my car, and figured spending it in an A4 would be much more enjoyable

I've been looking at mostly 06-08, so all B7, and I am adamant about wanting a 2.0T quattro model. No exceptions. I don't know how much tuning i would do, but I like that the option is there. Plus turbos are just cool! Anyways, my price range is right around 8-10 grand, 12 being the absolute ceiling I suppose(and only in the perfect situation). Most of the cars i've been looking at have had around 87-100k miles on them. Options for used Audi's are somewhat limited here in the metro Detroit area of Michigan(that is, ones that I can afford), so i've been pretty selective of what I will even consider.

My main concerns are these; am I walking into a potential money pit that I will regret forever, and besides the main issues i'm aware of, is there anything else I should know about when purchasing an older car of this platform.

I know the timing belt is an issue around 80-90k miles, the camshaft follower tends to have issues, and the PCV valve can be faulty on some of the B7. I have also heard that the water pump can also fail around 100k miles. Perhaps the most concerning to me, though, is the dreaded oil consumption issues, especially with the 07's(which are mostly what are for sale around here in my preferred range).

The one that has had my eye the most is an 07' with 87k miles, and while the dealer is apparently a bit sketchy on some sales based on internet reviews, the car seems to check out well with an autocheck report and the asking price of 10k seems to be relatively normal. I know that doesn't tell me all, but it tells me enough to make me comfortable enough to consider it.

Now, paying for the car itself won't be much of an issue, as I will have money from my Cobalt as well as a smallish auto loan from my credit union. I am, however, a college student who works part time, and while I do pretty well for how much I work(I work for tips) I am by no means even somewhat wealthy. Could a purchase like this sink me, and other than what I listed, what else can I expect to go wrong with this car? I'm not much of a DIY person, although I do have a friend who is somewhat of a mechanic and he used to own a Passat 2.0T so he is pretty familiar with the FSI engine.

I basically want to know if this could be a very poor investment, or with some careful research(i've been very diligent) and the help of my friend, could I walk away with a fairly reasonable and awesome vehicle?

I appreciate any response, and even if I don't end up with an A4, I have certainly learned a ton about them from this forum and I am at least grateful for that.

Also, is there any way to tell by inspecting the vehicle that it could perhaps be an oil guzzler? Maybe during a long test drive? I would think by 87k miles the issue would be fixed but who knows....anyways sorry for the ramblings. Thanks!