A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

"Soft Top Not Secure" Message But Top Still Works

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Soft Top Not Secure" Message But Top Still Works

Hey guys, don't know much about Audi's but I'm a bit of a DIY'er when it makes sense and my girlfriend's 2007 A4 Cabriolet has been having a weird issue. I found the documentation and video (
) for resetting the top due to a malfunction and will try that this weekend but the symptoms of the issue make me think it might just purely be a sensor.

Basically, girlfriend hadn't put the top down in weeks and doesn't recall doing anything goofy with the car before the message popped up. But one day on a hard bump it set off and now it will continually set off (usually on bumps) throughout a drive. I was on my phone and looked up the info for the manual release guy and unlatched/relatched in the front hoping that would help. Next time started car up, it seemed to be better but after a real big bump about 4 minutes into drive it popped up again and is back in full force. The interesting part is the top actually works fine all the way around and if she puts the top down, the message goes away and everything is fine. But when back up, issues arise. This is the key piece of evidence that makes me feel like it isn't just a "reset" issue but perhaps a pure sensor issue.

I know since I didn't do the full reset procedure yet, that's what most will suggest and when I get back around the car later this weekend I will try that. Just looking for other thoughts as well....
Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW - I'm assuming this (
Amazon.com: Car Code Reader Scanner VW/AUDI SCAN TOOL MAXSCAN VAG405 VAG 405 OBD II OBD 2 EOBD2: Automotive Amazon.com: Car Code Reader Scanner VW/AUDI SCAN TOOL MAXSCAN VAG405 VAG 405 OBD II OBD 2 EOBD2: Automotive
) scanner could give me the sensor code. But I'm not sure how feasible it is for me to change them out if they are indeed bad. Not sure how many there are and if they are easily replaceable.