A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Sounds like metal on metal grinding or possibly a bad bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like metal on metal grinding or possibly a bad bearing?

Got myself an 06 A4 Base a few days ago and it seems like now there is a strange noise coming from the engine after I let off the accelerator. Usually only happens when I step on it a bit and let it go. Logic tells me it could be the bearing in the turbo but I am so new to cars I could be the furthest away from the actual problem. The best way I can describe the sound is what an oscillating fan sounds like when its motor needs some WD-40. Kinda squealing, not really but also sounds a bit like metal rubbing on metal. Almost like a skate bearing going out. I have no idea where to even begin to diagnose this problem. It's a very slight sound right now but I don't want to wear on it until it becomes a MASSIVE problem. Timing belt was changed recently but as far as I know, there has been no work done to the turbo. I can't really hear it spool up either. Idk if that's normal for a stock part or not. Please explain like I'm 5
Old 01-23-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Btw, car has 135k on it. Forgot to mention that in the original post
Old 01-31-2017, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You probably need to provide some more info before anyone can diagnose other than guessing.

Is it engine noise (can you replicate the noise when you are stationary with the hood up?)
Assuming yes, can you get someone else to step on the accelerator and off while you listen to if the noise is at the front of the engine, the back, left, right etc.
Do you have any history on the timing belt change (did they change the pulleys, water pump etc)?
There's a lot of help available on this site but you need to be a bit more specific. As an example:
If the noise is at the front, that points toward timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley or the water pump (all spinning parts with bearings).
Rear of the engine you have a timing chain and chain tensioner. That can make that noise as well when the tensioner guide is failing.
A process of identifying the location will help pinpoint the problem.
Also, what engine (1.8 or 2.0)?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for the lack of detail. It's a 2.0t fsi. I can't recreate it while stationary. It only happens when I'm driving it and it's kind of difficult to hear where it's coming from. If I had to guess, it sounds kind of like it's on the passenger side. My buddy thinks it's just the sound of my blow off valve but Idk if I trust that. Like I was saying, it only happens when I let my foot off the accelerator after giving it a good push and only lasts a half second at best. As for the timing belt, I'm almost positive it was changed before I bought the vehicle but I'm not finding anything on it in my paperwork so I'm going to assume it hasn't been done yet.