A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Vag-Com or odbII

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vag-Com or odbII

What do I need? What should I get?
Any preferences on models?
Old 10-14-2014, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brown20
What do I need? What should I get?
Any preferences on models?
It isn't even debatable. Get a vagcom full even though the staff is full of themselves. $350 US

good luck
Old 10-14-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ThankS
Old 10-14-2014, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on what you want to do.

If you just want to read codes so you can talk intelligently to the mechanic, or check what the mechanic is telling you and maybe replace a few things yourself, then a code reader will do. The code reader is generally hand held device, so no need for a laptop. The OBDII type will read the generic engine code issues or there are some that will work with the VAG cars to read all the codes. I have been using the Autel VAG505 with success for the last 2 years ( I have 2 Audi's and 2 VW's in the house) but (and here's the but!) if you also want to do minor repairs, and since you are on a site like this I assume you do, a code reader will not let you trigger a remap of things like the MAF. I recently purchased the Vag-Com. The first time I used it I was able to remap a MAF and an ECG on a FSI motor that just would not start and was not throwing any codes to hint the problem (nor could I have triggered the remap with the Autel anyway). So if you are looking for a 'tool' then the Vag-com appears to be the standard. Just my experience - others may have different experiences.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by John535is
Depends on what you want to do.

If you just want to read codes so you can talk intelligently to the mechanic, or check what the mechanic is telling you and maybe replace a few things yourself, then a code reader will do. The code reader is generally hand held device, so no need for a laptop. The OBDII type will read the generic engine code issues or there are some that will work with the VAG cars to read all the codes. I have been using the Autel VAG505 with success for the last 2 years ( I have 2 Audi's and 2 VW's in the house) but (and here's the but!) if you also want to do minor repairs, and since you are on a site like this I assume you do, a code reader will not let you trigger a remap of things like the MAF. I recently purchased the Vag-Com. The first time I used it I was able to remap a MAF and an ECG on a FSI motor that just would not start and was not throwing any codes to hint the problem (nor could I have triggered the remap with the Autel anyway). So if you are looking for a 'tool' then the Vag-com appears to be the standard. Just my experience - others may have different experiences.
OBD-II and scanners won't read all DTC's put out by vag cars. I know first hand.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree a standard OBDII will not read all VAG codes. I have now run a generic (cheap) code reader and both the Vag-com and the VAG505 multiple times on 4 different VAG cars and as yet the Vag-com has not found any codes the Autel didn't. My experience is limited to an A6 Allroad, A4 quattro, a Mk5 VW and a Mk7 VW golf, that's all I have in my garage (VAG related) so there are lots of other models I cannot vouch for. They all had error codes and both VAG programs had the same code results. If you have the $ get the Vag-com as it does more.