A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Xenon flickering

Old 01-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon flickering

Hi guys and girls

I got a 2005 A4 with xenon, and like many before me, my lights flicker.

I have had the car for one year and the flickering got worse and worse, but only driver side was flickering. So in December I bought new bulbs and swapped them.

Everything was was bliss for ~2 weeks, and then the passenger light started with a small and rare blink.
after a while the driver side started flickering and turning on and off. Now the passenger side is almost never a problem, but the driver side is a mess.
i feel that, after I changed the bulbs, it went from almost a strobe-light and to someone playing with the light switch.

I have checked the servo fluid (read that somewhere), and I have recharged the battery. No difference at all.

anyone have any ide what could be wrong? I read about a guy that removed the headlamps and opened up the ballast/ignitors (what do this car actually have?), and resoldered some new components. I know my way around a soldering iron, so if that will fix my problem, and someone know what components I need, that is something I would try.

Hope someone can help me. This is starting to get frustrating.

Best regards
Sindre
Old 03-06-2017, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is the flickering followed by the dreaded "headlight dipped" warning? Does it clear up if you manually turn off and on the lights again?

I used to have this happen from time to time and it turns out the issue was related to the auto-leveling mechanism in the headlight housing. Once that was replaced, the lights worked fine again. (Without changing out the bulbs.)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the reply!

No, i never get the "headlight dipped"-message. The lights do turn on and immediately on again, but it seems to go so fast that the car does not send an error message on it.

do you know if this leveling-system
is possible to disconnect to test and see if that is the problem instead of the ignitors(ballasts)?
I have bought 1 ballast, but both are flickering, so would really like to have 2 before I remove the bumper.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I really don't know. The actual leveler hardware is in the wheel well. Maybe there is a fuse you could take out?

How to Fix Dipped Headlight Error on an Audi ? Nick's Car Blog

That blog has some tips about the dipped headlight issue but since you're not getting that, it may not apply. Read it anyway, you may find something useful there.