A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2010 A4, 110K miles. What should I be worried about?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 A4, 110K miles. What should I be worried about?

Car runs great now, no issues with leaking engine oil or anything. Would love to drive for another 3 years. Is there anything major I should be aware of and could check or replace in advance?

Some people mentioned the "timing belt tensioner" breaking, causing a major engine repair. Any other thing to watch for? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Timing chain , timing chain tensioner , water pump and plugs along with coil packs. Unfortunately unless the seller can tell you about the oil consumption you'll just have to take the risk. Change all fluids and check brakes and rotors. Also do an under car inspection and check all areas for leaks.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jagtoes, thanks for reply. Should have been clear....I own the car now. I have been driving it for several years. Just trying to be proactive and see what "biggie" I can prevent/avoid.

I googled a bit on the tensioner. It does not appear to be a serviceable part. It is inside the engine block. A google search shows several incident where it failed and it ruined the whole engine. Here is one example

Old 08-16-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fittan
Jagtoes, thanks for reply. Should have been clear....I own the car now. I have been driving it for several years. Just trying to be proactive and see what "biggie" I can prevent/avoid.

I googled a bit on the tensioner. It does not appear to be a serviceable part. It is inside the engine block. A google search shows several incident where it failed and it ruined the whole engine. Here is one example

Audi 2.0T timing chain tensioner failure - YouTube
There's a big thread on Audizine called the "Timing chain failure thread." I'd actually have that REALLY high on your list. Seems 100-120k is the magic number where guys are having problems.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fittan

Audi 2.0T timing chain tensioner failure - YouTube
OK didn't know that but I would go with the timing chain and tensioner replacement. It goes without saying if the tensioner or chain goes the engine is scrap. Then I would still do plugs , coils and all fluid changes.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
OK didn't know that but I would go with the timing chain and tensioner replacement. It goes without saying if the tensioner or chain goes the engine is scrap. Then I would still do plugs , coils and all fluid changes.
I highly recommend you replace the PCV valve if it has never been replaced before. Cheap part and easy installation. If this goes then chance are the rear main seal (expensive) will go too on this model.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About that time I had to do in a short period of time:

Timing chain and associated parts.
High Pressure fuel pump.
Thermostat.
Battery.
Spark Plugs.
Motor Mounts.
Wheel Bearing(RF)
Catalytic Converter.

Did most myself, except chain because I did not have the heart to take the front off the car.