A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2010 A4 Car Fire after service

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 A4 Car Fire after service

Hello, I'm looking for some advice. I have a 2010 A4 2.0L Manual which failed the part 2 oil consumption test and had the requisite work done at the Audi dealer under warranty. I drove the car off after it was fixed, and it started to smoke. After a while, I stopped the car and there was major smoking coming from under the hood. I opened the hood and saw a small fire on the catalytic converter with oil splattered everywhere. The fire subsided on its own and the dealer picked up the car and got me back into a loaner. They called me now and told me that it was a problem with the O-ring and they triple-checked everything, and it's ready to go.

My concern is that with an active fire under the hood, how much other damage could there be to mechanical, electrical, and structural components of the vehicle?

Is it really safe to drive this car again? And if so, what if there are other problems that arise due to this event?

They just want to give the car back to me stating that the problem is corrected, but I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do. Any advice from you experts out there would be appreciated as I'm not sure how to handle this one. Thanks in advance.