A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2011 A4 Wind Noise Pissing me Off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not imagining things, it is wind noise from the mirrors.
Well documented on this and other boards.

The 2010 redesign was supposed to mitigate this issue, but some ppl have stated they thought it was worse after the redesign.

I've actually tuned it out at this point as well as the creak/rattle in my driver's B pillar.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTRA4
If you have clear mask on the mirrors
this can cause a speed dependant whistle.
How so? I fail to see how any decent clear bra on your mirrors could cause a speed dependent whistle any more than the underlying structure.

Maybe if your clear "mask" has a beard....
Old 08-27-2011, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
How so? I fail to see how any decent clear bra on your mirrors could cause a speed dependent whistle any more than the underlying structure.

Maybe if your clear "mask" has a beard....
I was actually waiting for the "non believer" response..had this on two Audi's, Q7 and A4, had them trim and finally remove and refund on the A4 and no whistle. Was not as bad on the Q7, wifes car, would not have believed it myself otherwise. BTW mask on each was a different brand done by different installers. Could be something inherent in Audis tolerances in wind tunnel design.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I have clear bra on my mirrors and have no wind noise...2011 Avant
Old 08-27-2011, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ULTRA4
I was actually waiting for the "non believer" response..had this on two Audi's, Q7 and A4, had them trim and finally remove and refund on the A4 and no whistle. Was not as bad on the Q7, wifes car, would not have believed it myself otherwise. BTW mask on each was a different brand done by different installers. Could be something inherent in Audis tolerances in wind tunnel design.
I don't know if I am a "non-believer". I don't know what you are talking about. I have had numerous full clear bras done (including mirrors) (usually 3M) and never had any mirror "whistle" before or after. Is the "mask" that you refer to, clear bra or something else?...

Originally Posted by jfo
FWIW, I have clear bra on my mirrors and have no wind noise...2011 Avant
That's what I'm talking about...
Old 08-27-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do notice some wind noise around my driver window on avant. A little more than my other Audis.

Not sure if it's the mirrors or not. I still consider my car to be pretty quiet overall and doesnt bother me much.

I hear tire noise more than anything at times with different road surfaces.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am trying to help the OP. In lew of everything else that may be thought to create noise, the clearbra/mask can create and or contribute to the wind noise problem within certain speed ranges. Like I said I would not have believed it myself had I not had multiple experiences with this.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

I had something similar on my '10 sedan. Only it was more on driver's side than passenger's. Felt that my fingers went in a touch more to the driver's side door gap at the top. Complained at 5k service. Ignored. Went to different dealer for 15k, complained again. They readjusted the door, whatever that means. It's gone!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just wanted to chime in here. My 2010 Avant has had a whistle from day one. Its always bothered me but never enough to take it in. Noice seems to come from the drivers door/mirror area.

My last car was an Evo IX So a little wind noise is nothing to me. lol
Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by patton424
I have done the following to try an isolate this problem:
Hi, I am having exactly the same problem with my 2011 A8. The whistling noise starts at about 90kmh and gets louder up to about 120kmh. I have tried chalk and masking tape to identify the problem, but nothing seems to change it.

I drove this car 3,000km across Australia when I first bought it, and it had no such problem. I have taken it to the dealer who has re-aligned the door, which made no difference.

The noise is driving me crazy. I will be really happy to hear of any solution.

Quick Reply: 2011 A4 Wind Noise Pissing me Off!