A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2012 A4 Mystery Ticking Sound from Under Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A4 Mystery Ticking Sound from Under Car

I'm trying to find out if anyone has or has had the same problem that I am having with my '12 A4. September of 2015 I replaced both of the front rotors after driving in the mountains and having a horrible shake in the wheel when braking, and new rotors solved that problem.

Upon replacing the rotors I inspected all of the suspension components on the front end of the car and all seemed normal. After replacing the rotors I noticed that there was a ticking sound which was quick loud when driving, especially next to concrete barriers, buildings, or cars. I thought that this sound was from the new rotors, but through troubleshooting I determined it wasn't the rotors.

I've replaced a timing chain tensioner on my older '03 A4 myself, and immediately thought to check this for the sound and I was able to rule that out.

This noise isn't audible with the windows rolled up, and I had forgotten about it through winter, however it has been unseasonably warm now and I can definitely hear this noise again when driving around. It is quite loud and increases as my speed increases, however it doesn't increase when the wheels aren't moving. I parked my car in a quiet parking garage next to a wall to try and pin point the sound, and I've been able to hear the ticking begin when the engine is warm and I shift into reverse or into drive from neutral. It sounds like it is coming from the middle underside of the car. It only happens a little when the gear is first engaged, and then happens while driving.

If anyone has had this same sound before, or knows what might be causing it, I would greatly appreciate some assistance! I've been able to diagnose and fix most everything on my cars in the past, however this sound has me chasing my tail!

Thanks!