A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2013 Audi A4 - Long Crank when hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Audi A4 - Long Crank when hot

I have a 2013 Audi A4 Quattro 8AT. I'm unfortunately at about 51K miles (just out of warranty).

I park my car in street in the afternoon after driving 20 miles (all interstate, some stop & go) and later move it into the driveway. Lately the car has had trouble cranking when I go to move it to the driveway. It's extremely hot in the afternoons (Atlanta) and it sits directly in the sun. I can get it to finally start but it cranks for a very long time, and sometimes stumbles and stalls as if it's not getting enough fuel. Yesterday I felt like i helped it by pumping the accelerator as it was trying to crank.

Almost any other time it cranks right up, sitting in the driveway in the cooler mornings, and after sitting in a parking deck all day. There are no other symptoms I've noticed. I took it to the dealer before the warranty expired but of course they couldn't find anything wrong.

Any suggestions at this point? Is the dealer on the hook to fix it out of warranty since I complained of the issue before warranty expiration? I'm not sure how to reproduce the problem when/if I take the car in.

Alternatively I could take it to an independent, but would like some idea of what might be wrong before doing so. I know I can by an OBDII scanner, Carista, etc.

The car has been flawless except for this, which just started happening.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go simple first: get that battery checked. It's old enough that the heat could be affecting it and not getting enough juice out.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
Go simple first: get that battery checked. It's old enough that the heat could be affecting it and not getting enough juice out.
Thanks, will do.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the 2010 Audi A4 with the same issue. It's only an issue when the temperature is really hot for me, say anytime it get up in the 90's. If I do a lot of stop and go errands then it become an issue. Difficult to start and when it start, performance is not the same, always feel like it will shut off on acceleration from a stop.

I have replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensor (pretty easy DIY, ~$100 for parts). This appear to have help, but I don't think I resolve my issue permanently. I think it is coolant related, where the engine is getting hotter when I shut off my engine. So the cars is sensing the hot engine and is preventing further damage with the difficult re-start. Only a guess on my part, would like to hear from others also?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slonela
I have the 2010 Audi A4 with the same issue. It's only an issue when the temperature is really hot for me, say anytime it get up in the 90's. If I do a lot of stop and go errands then it become an issue. Difficult to start and when it start, performance is not the same, always feel like it will shut off on acceleration from a stop.
My problems are not that severe. Once the car starts it drives just fine. No codes are thrown that I can see.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johnc_22
I can get it to finally start but it cranks for a very long time, and sometimes stumbles and stalls as if it's not getting enough fuel. Yesterday I felt like i helped it by pumping the accelerator as it was trying to crank.
So I have monitor my issues for 2 summer now... which happen about 6x over 2 years. The only common denominator is the summer heat. I have also added more bottle water to top off the coolant which seems to help with the heat. So check your coolant level?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slonela
So I have monitor my issues for 2 summer now... which happen about 6x over 2 years. The only common denominator is the summer heat. I have also added more bottle water to top off the coolant which seems to help with the heat. So check your coolant level?
Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one, and it will be cooling off pretty soon now anyway, thank goodness.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha...just posted a thread with similar issues here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ather-2906194/
Old 04-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bump... It's starting to get hot again in Georgia...
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I replaced the HPFP which appear to have resolve my issue. No issue with the 80 degree the pass couple of days in Michigan this week. Last year, I replaced only the seal for the HPFP which did not help.

Quick Reply: 2013 Audi A4 - Long Crank when hot