A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2014 A4 reset service light

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 A4 reset service light

I need to reset the 25k service light, I have successfully checked my windshield wipers and blinker fluid.....

I see that it may require vag com cable, and with all due respect to Ross Tech I refuse to pay $350 for an odb cable when I have no interest in adjusting any of the other settings. If I wanted to make a bunch of those mods or use all of that functionality, I could see it, but if all I need is to reset the service interval light on my wife's A4 (bone stock) I just can't justify that.

Is there any cheap alternative that can do this, or way to do it via the MMC?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by eelmot
I need to reset the 25k service light, I have successfully checked my windshield wipers and blinker fluid.....

I see that it may require vag com cable, and with all due respect to Ross Tech I refuse to pay $350 for an odb cable when I have no interest in adjusting any of the other settings. If I wanted to make a bunch of those mods or use all of that functionality, I could see it, but if all I need is to reset the service interval light on my wife's A4 (bone stock) I just can't justify that.

Is there any cheap alternative that can do this, or way to do it via the MMC?

Any help would be appreciated.
Take it to the dealer then , they are cheaper then the $350.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Eel, find you local VCDS go-to person and have them reset it for you.

Welcome aboard!
Old 02-07-2016, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. If you do not want to own your own VCDS cable, look for someone in your area that has one. Placing an inquiry in this forum and other Audi and VW forums will help you find one or a few in your area. Usually, owners of VCDS cables will help you do VCDS stuff for a case of beer, $15 to 20 more or less, or no cost. If you do decide to own your own VCDS cable, you can buy a used one from sellers found in various Audi and VW forums. A used cable usually costs around $275 (more or less) for the HEX-CAN version. Used values do not go down. If you decide to sell it, you can (it is possible) sell it for the same cost you got it.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the replies

Up until this year I have had only american cars, last year I got a BMW, and then the wife got the Audi this year. We both love the cars, but I have been surprise by the "neediness" of these cars. It seems that they are constantly requesting a trip to the dealer. I do most of my own work on them, so far only oil changes, brake replacements, and a wheel bearing on the 650 after a nasty pot hole, but I have had to reset the "service due" light several times on the BMW but it can be done with no special tools. Now the Audi manual service schedule implies that I can expect to have to reset this light every 10k miles? that seems ridiculous. I should not have to visit a dealer every 10k miles to have a light reset over and over, and I really don't want to impose on others for this service either. I wish that ross tech or someone would just create a cheaper tool just to do the light reset, without the added software or pieces that some of us just wouldn't use.

Hence, the question about the cheap eBay alternatives, I am not looking to pirate anything, nor deprive anyone of reward for their hard work developing software. I just don't want to buy a Swiss army knife if all I need is a toothpick.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Up until this year I have had only american cars, last year I got a BMW, and then the wife got the Audi this year. We both love the cars, but I have been surprise by the "neediness" of these cars. It seems that they are constantly requesting a trip to the dealer. I do most of my own work on them, so far only oil changes, brake replacements, and a wheel bearing on the 650 after a nasty pot hole, but I have had to reset the "service due" light several times on the BMW but it can be done with no special tools. Now the Audi manual service schedule implies that I can expect to have to reset this light every 10k miles? that seems ridiculous. I should not have to visit a dealer every 10k miles to have a light reset over and over, and I really don't want to impose on others for this service either. I wish that ross tech or someone would just create a cheaper tool just to do the light reset, without the added software or pieces that some of us just wouldn't use.

Hence, the question about the cheap eBay alternatives, I am not looking to pirate anything, nor deprive anyone of reward for their hard work developing software. I just don't want to buy a Swiss army knife if all I need is a toothpick.
I consider the "neediness" is necessary because of longer interval between maintenance schedule for cars sold after 2000 specially European cars. It is basically every 10K miles for most of newer European cars.

One option is to ignore it.
I have a VCDS cable but rarely use it to reset the service reminder.
I do my own maintenance work and keep the log using Excel. In other words, it is on my schedule not the car's

Here is another option by Carista.
It can do customization and service reset.
I read that service reset can be done with Beta version software though, and it charges $5 every time the service reset function is used. To me, it is ridiculous considering cost of this app and OBD scanner.
Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization | Your car, your way

Last edited by audi bug; 02-09-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you buy the car from an Audi dealer ? Even if you didn't I would go establish a relationship with your local Audi/VW dealership . Meet the service manager and buy your parts at the dealership. At some point you can ask if there is a way that you can turn off the service warning (knowing that you can't) and see if he can do it as good will or customer service. The process takes a few minutes. Otherwise you can just live with it as it shut off in a few seconds. The other option is the damsel in distress where you have your wife take the car in and have her talk to the service manager. Tell him this warning keeps coming on and she doesn't know how to turn it off. They usually send a tech out and do it while you wait .