A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Bang & Olufsen Stereo - odd issue with it

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bang & Olufsen Stereo - odd issue with it

So my new A4 came with the Bang & Olufsen upgrade.

When I listen to it via my iPod directly hooked up to the car in the glove box, the sound is actually somewhat mediocre, even making me question the value of this upgrade.

When I listen to it via my disconnected iPhone (via Bluetooth), the sound is very rich, deep and enjoyable. While not an audiophile, there is no question in my mind that the extra money was worth when listening via streaming.

So I guess my question is .. why? I would have figured a direct connection would be superior to streaming...
Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is not right. That's all I can tell you. It should sound great plugged in.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

It's possible the song files played from the iPod were less than optimum quality compared to what you copied to the iPhone, ie, 128kbps vs 256kpbs or the DAC in the iPod is not as good as the DAC in the car from the digital Bluetooth signal.

The best quality will come from an SD card or files copied to the Jukebox (and superior to the limitations of Bluetooth audio). With the digital MOST system included with Nav option, there's one less digital to analog conversion than using the AMI cable with an iPod or iPhone (using the B&O DAC vs. the one used in an Apple device). Try copying some high bit MP3 or AAC files to a card and listen for the difference. If the song file is optimized to the best quality possible and the song itself has wide dynamic range and frequency response, you should hear a significant difference.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the highest bit rate you can from your songs. either 320 kbps MP3, FLAC or Apple Lossless. I know I can hear a difference if something is blow 256 kbps.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by efett
Try the highest bit rate you can from your songs. either 320 kbps MP3, FLAC or Apple Lossless. I know I can hear a difference if something is blow 256 kbps.
Note that the MMI does not support FLAC lossless files. Apple lossless will play from an iPod or iPhone via the AMI cable but it will be converted to analog output by the idevice DAC first. SD cards do not support any lossless formats but provide a digital output to the car's DAC and if you have the navigation option with MOST digital transport system, the signal is kept in digital format to the amps' outputs to the speakers.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you listening to the same song files (apples to apples) on both devices? Otherwise it's difficult to make a fair comparison. I don't mean just the same song titles, but the same files (one could be compressed MP3 and the other file a lossless FLAC format).
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by torquesteer11
So my new A4 came with the Bang & Olufsen upgrade.

When I listen to it via my iPod directly hooked up to the car in the glove box, the sound is actually somewhat mediocre, even making me question the value of this upgrade.

When I listen to it via my disconnected iPhone (via Bluetooth), the sound is very rich, deep and enjoyable. While not an audiophile, there is no question in my mind that the extra money was worth when listening via streaming.

So I guess my question is .. why? I would have figured a direct connection would be superior to streaming...
As others have said the problem is in the ipod format, not the B & O system. The B & O exposed the sonic problem of any mp3 type format when music is compressed to much.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AU5000
As others have said the problem is in the ipod format, not the B & O system. The B & O exposed the sonic problem of any mp3 type format when music is compressed to much.
And there's the extra DAC conversion with an iPod/iPhone.

iPod w/AMI - B&O: Digital>Analog (in the iPod)>Digital>Analog (using B&O DAC; then uses MOST digital transport all the way to amp analog output to speakers)

SD Card/Jukebox - B&O: Digital>Analog (using B&O DAC; uses MOST digital transport all the way to amp analog output to speakers)

iPod w/AMI - non B&O: Digital>Analog (in the iPod) and stays analog all the way to the speakers

SD Card/Jukebox - non B&O: Digital>Analog (using Bose or other DAC at card's output) and stays in analog all the way through to speakers)