A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 03:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

2015 A4 2.0T, oil consumption concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2,000 miles on my 2015 A4 quattro manual, not overly careful when driven. No oil consumption at all, very happy with the car.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 oz is about 2.5% of full capacity.

I would guess engine surfaces and the old oil filter retain at least 2.5%.

Meaning, following the first change I would expect at least a 2.5% differential in oil.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine burning a QT every 800 miles. The good stuff of course!!!!!
at 60k.

Those afflicted, get your oil history receipts in order if your out of warranty.
I do love this car though!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2010 burning a QT every 800 miles. The good stuff of course!!!!!
at 60k.

Those afflicted, get your oil history receipts in order if your out of warranty.

Im trading her in for a 2015 and willl report any problems if any. Naturally they seem to have this under control. At 37,000 is when it started and has been under "normal variance" until the last 5000 when her thirst became unquenchable!

Those in my circle of friends think "Why get another"? To me the devil you know is better than one you don't. The engine outside of those who were lucky enough to get the bad rings has a great engine. Im not a consumer reports kind of guy but audi is no. 1 now and the all road is at the top. When I was young I wanted the "Newest" model. Now I like the reliability of a proven commodity and especially one that has been corrected. I also would imagine the Avant might not be available right away if at all.

As I noted in another post my positive experience I am very drunk on Audi Kool Aid right now. We love our A4 avant and very happy to not just be getting a new audi but our plan (as was with the old one) is to have this car long term.

The Small car wagon is limited now to volvo, BMW 3 and the Allroad. Volvo is out of the question and we have a 3 Bmw in the driveway. I don't prefer to have two of the same brand anyway so its a no brainer.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a MY12 A4 built and purchased in the fall of 2011. I had heard that the problem was resolved in MY2011.

During the first 5000 miles, it used maybe 1/2 QT. I followed the break-in procedures from the manual. During the next two 10k intervals, the car used maybe 1/8th QT each time (1-2 bars displayed in the MMI).

I wouldn't consider that consumption to be any kind of issue. What I would like to know is why SOME of the 2009-2011 cars had the issues while others do not.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Manual_Trans
I had a MY12 A4 built and purchased in the fall of 2011. I had heard that the problem was resolved in MY2011.

During the first 5000 miles, it used maybe 1/2 QT. I followed the break-in procedures from the manual. During the next two 10k intervals, the car used maybe 1/8th QT each time (1-2 bars displayed in the MMI).

I wouldn't consider that consumption to be any kind of issue. What I would like to know is why SOME of the 2009-2011 cars had the issues while others do not.
PIston rings were put in engines not conforming to the Specs. Parts supplier made a boo boo.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Poor quality control by Audi. Thousands of motors should not have passed inspection.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Poor quality control by Audi. Thousands of motors should not have passed inspection.
Yup. But, you know, sh*t happens. And Audi has stepped up to the plate, just as BMW did with its years of bad HPFP.

Why on earth do so many people expect perfection from an auto maker? When was the last time any of us did our jobs perfectly day after day, year after year?

When the perfect car is built, its absence of flaws will be reflected in the price.

In the meantime...
Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by roger_1
Yup. But, you know, sh*t happens. And Audi has stepped up to the plate, just as BMW did with its years of bad HPFP.

Why on earth do so many people expect perfection from an auto maker? When was the last time any of us did our jobs perfectly day after day, year after year?

When the perfect car is built, its absence of flaws will be reflected in the price.

In the meantime...
If we knew how many engines have an oil usage problem it would most likely hurt the brand. How many bad sets of rings are considered acceptable. 1000 , 10,000 , 100,000 or a million . If you are familiar with manufacturing techniques once a problem is discovered there is a process to fix the issue. You would start with 100% inspection on incoming parts until the issue is solved. Based on the number of engines built I would believe they could have fixed the problem within a year. They apparently felt it was a low risk and they could pacify their customers with a rebuild if the bitched enough. Then the disclaimer of a quart every 1200 miles took them off the hook. You apparently feel that a mistake once in a while is OK so hopefully you are not a doctor. As for BMW or any other car manufacture they don't get a pass either. The degree of the problem is the critical issue.
Ask your self it is OK for a dealer to make a mistake with your brakes so that at 70 MPH they don't work. After all ShXt happens.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Big gray areas here. Mine is burning a qt every 800 and Audi is stepping up big time!
It also needed the amount of cars to hit a certain age/miles before it gets apparent.
at 60k, mine is.

I can roll the dice and take the rebuild and perhaps everything will be fine. Or, accept what is a massive discount on a new Allroad and a very generous trade in. Thats the route im taking.

Naturally I'd rather have not the choice and gone about my merry way enjoying what has been an otherwise nearly flawless 4 years and 60k but it seems this kind can and does happen. Im sure me being in my early 50's makes me more chill than a I would have been 25 years ago as perfection and idealistic ideal are replaced by reality. Cars break. Not every part can be inspected. Tolerance is grown.

There are degrees of mistakes that are tolerable. Brakes fail vs oil consumption are not apples to apples.

Quick Reply: 2015 A4 2.0T, oil consumption concerns?