A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2015 A4 new owner: confused by a few things

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm headed BACK to the dealer first thing tomorrow @ 7am, so I plan to get to the bottom of this plastic-clip debacle.

Why, you ask, am I headed back after only a scant 7 days of ownership?

I've got a really strong vibration in the steering wheel, both front seats (you should see the passenger seat jump when no one is in it...the headrest is an actual blur), and the rear seats. It starts about 70 MPH, and I promise you...you aren't man enough to make it to 80. It's on all freeways, all lanes, even the super-smooth new section of the 55 South here in the car pool lane, on asphalt and grooved concrete.

It's gotta be a wheel (or more) out of balance (Pirelli, with 19" black OEM wheels) and/or an alignment issue.

I KNEW I should have pressed for some test drive miles on the freeway, and at speeds more than 50 or so around the dealership on city streets.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My rayban aviators fit if I maneuver them in. Rayban wayfarers do not fit no matter what.
The clips in the glovey are for a pen and your registration. But one of those pen type tire gauges might fit too.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clearly - the car has a balance issue...

our S4/S5/RS5 are all smooth deep into the 100+ range… likely a bent wheel from someone's test drive, wheel weights gone akimbo, or the suspension stabilizing pieces were never removed after unloading the car. They will set it straight… rarely would a half-shaft or such escape the factory with that much wiggle

Good Luck

Eric
Old 08-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could be. The car only had 6 miles on it though. I'm still on the first tank of gas. I looked at all the wheels before I signed, and since then. If it's been hit, it doesn't show that I can see. I'll post up when I know more tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:30 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine came preloaded with Raybans. .....Bought it used and the original owner forgot they were there.
The clip will hold a pen ...or a pencil type tire press gauge. The Audi gauge won't fit though, as that's a dial type. - it might hold onto the hose, though I've never tried. The little tray might hold change, until you hit a big bump.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Above 70mph shuddering sounds exactly like out of balance tires.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Been @ the dealer since 7am PST. They just sent me home with a loaner.

Tech verified the shudder. Came back, re torqued lugs, retest, still shudders. Came back, balanced wheels, retested, shudder still there. All suspension checks out fine.
Went back and rotated tires, shudder is now less, but if that tire is moved out of that sweet spot on the car for 5k rotation, I'm gonna be right back where I am now. When I left they were going to try another wheel to see if that was the issue while they called Pirelli to get them to OK 2 new tires.

I said "If you can't convince Pirelli, I certainly can."

More when I know it. PS I asked the service writer about the plastic clip which we now know to be used to hold a pen/pencil.

He'd never heard of it.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what was the outcome?
Old 08-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

With the vibration? We're still working on it. The brought in a regional service manager yesterday, and had the car all day while I had a loaner. At the end of the day I got mine back. Apparently the latest thought is the wheel is out of true. They had to order a new wheel from Das Homeland, and then powdercoat it black when it comes in. Till then, I'm staying south of 70MPH. They say 2 weeks or more till I go back for the swap.

PS Ugh.

Last edited by wgregt; 08-08-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Our B8 owner manual suggests a pen & pad of paper (not included) are held by the plastic clip in the glovebox.

The pen from the Mobilemuseum shop at Audi Forum Ingolstadt fits in the pen clip perfectly, and a little note book from a previous Europe trip is held by the flat clip:

Quick Reply: 2015 A4 new owner: confused by a few things