A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2015 A4 steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ccA4SEA
I've had mine since December with sport plus and noticed my steering wheel when visually centered definitely pulls to the right. However, I think its more along the lines of what Roger says in that the wheel is not centered relative alignment center point.

This is my first car with electro-mechanical steering and its certainly a different feel compared to traditional power steering and reacts a bit differently some times for the better, sometimes for the worse.

I'm going to have the alignment checked during the 5k oil change in ~1.5 months, if I find out anything I'll post back. Keep us posted on your situation, hopefully it gets corrected soon.
Please do...
Old 02-27-2015, 04:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by E92MPower
I also read your post on Audizine so this has me a bit concered as I'm expecting to take delivery of my '15 A4 P+ in late March. I was hoping the issues had been resolved in 2013. I'll be sure to take the car for a comprehensive test drive before signing any paperwork.

Sounds like it may be time for you to get the GM and SM involved and begin a claim under the Lemon Law in ordr for them to assign a more competent tech. Based on your feedback it sounds like it's a combination of problems. And without the full attention of the service department this may never be fixed. I would certainly be highly upset as well. No way a brand new car should be tracking inncorectly and require so much correction to simply drive straight.
Honestly I didn't even drive my car until after I took delivery. It's December in Wisconsin and the car arrived with the 19" summer only tires.

I am taking the car back in to have the alignment checked for the 5th time, but I am waiting until it warms up and I can put the summer tires back on. I have only been to this dealership once. When I called and made my first appointment they told me getting the steering wheel straight was "not that hard" and it "shouldn't be a problem". Now Audi has contacted them and I spoke with them earlier in the week and the service advisor said the issue I am describing may never go away and that no car will go straight if you hold the wheel straight?

This seems like such a simple thing to get corrected which makes this even more frustrating. It seems the dealerships are in denial that I am having this issue with a brand new car. I on the other hand can't believe that two Audi dealers have failed to correct the issue on a brand new car. I will update the thread with my results.

Thanks for all of the information that has been posted up thus far. I would hope that both Audi dealers would know that the steering angle sensor needs to be reset after an alignment, but they did have my car set up with the incorrect tire pressures.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
If you don't center the wheel, but leave it where it is, and then drive on a level stretch of road, and lift your hands off the wheel, will the car continue to go straight?

If so, it's a simply matter of having the steering wheel centered.

OTOH, if, when you take your hands off the wheel, and the car wont continue to go in a straight line (make sure the road is level, side to side), and swapping the wheels doesn't remedy it, then you have a bigger (different) problem.
I tried this several times yesterday and yes, if I don't center the wheel it will continue to drive straight. If I center the wheel then I am headed for the curb.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Camss57
I tried this several times yesterday and yes, if I don't center the wheel it will continue to drive straight. If I center the wheel then I am headed for the curb.
There is nothing wrong with your steering . There is something wrong with your dealer. Find another dealer and have the steering wheel centered and you will be good to go. This is a simple correction.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can anyone verify if it is necessary to have the steering angle sensor reset after an alignment?

I don't believe this has been done on my A4 after any of the 4 times its been on the alignment rack. I know the first time on the rack the tech didn't even drive my car to verify the issue. He just put it on the rack and said it was all "in the green" so there was nothing he could due and tried to blame my winter tires.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Camss57
Can anyone verify if it is necessary to have the steering angle sensor reset after an alignment?

I don't believe this has been done on my A4 after any of the 4 times its been on the alignment rack. I know the first time on the rack the tech didn't even drive my car to verify the issue. He just put it on the rack and said it was all "in the green" so there was nothing he could due and tried to blame my winter tires.
Do you have a MIL code for a steering sensor problem? If not you should not have to get it re-centered when they center the steering wheel. If when they re-center the steering wheel and the MIL code comes up then yes they need to re-align it.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Do you have a MIL code for a steering sensor problem? If not you should not have to get it re-centered when they center the steering wheel. If when they re-center the steering wheel and the MIL code comes up then yes they need to re-align it.
No codes or MIL lights. Just the off center wheel.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI. Get that readout. My wife's 2007 A4 3.2 the tire dealer aligned as a FWD instead of a quattro. He lost the readout. I would not accept the car and he put it on the rack to check and caught the error, and then re-did the alignment as a quattro. Assume incompetency on all levels.