A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

3.2L Fuel Injectors Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2L Fuel Injectors Leaking

Hey guys!

Recently I bought a used 2009 A4 3.2L engine with only 30,000 miles. However I have been having start up issues every once in a while where the car would not start the first time but then would start the second try. This only happens 1/10 tries and more so when the car is still hot. There is no CEL on.

I took it in to the Audi dealership and they diagnosed that the problem was all 6 leaking fuel injectors. They figured that out by using a borescope through spark plugs.

My question is it possible that ALL 6 injectors are leaking or are they trying to make more money by replacing them all? Also would fuel injector cleaners work to stop the leaks? I believe the leaks are because the injectors can't close properly from carbon buildup but was wondering if you guys have any opinions on this matter. Also should I stop driving the car until this issue is fixed?
Old 08-04-2015, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by keresturec
Hey guys!

Recently I bought a used 2009 A4 3.2L engine with only 30,000 miles. However I have been having start up issues every once in a while where the car would not start the first time but then would start the second try. This only happens 1/10 tries and more so when the car is still hot. There is no CEL on.

I took it in to the Audi dealership and they diagnosed that the problem was all 6 leaking fuel injectors. They figured that out by using a borescope through spark plugs.

My question is it possible that ALL 6 injectors are leaking or are they trying to make more money by replacing them all? Also would fuel injector cleaners work to stop the leaks? I believe the leaks are because the injectors can't close properly from carbon buildup but was wondering if you guys have any opinions on this matter. Also should I stop driving the car until this issue is fixed?
I have a hard time buying this. I would have them pull one injector and put it on a test fixture that they use for cleaning injectors. They can tell from the spray pattern if it is clogged or if it leaks. Also did you have any codes in the system that would suggest leaking (rich) injectors. 30K miles is to little for this and if they are leaking you can get them cleaned cheaper then replacing them. Also what do the spark plugs look like . Are they fuel fouled and black from running rich. Show me the plugs. I would like to see the proof of what they are telling you. Trust but verify
Old 08-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with jagtoes, it seems a little fishy that all 6 would go at once. Also your fuel pump could be bleeding off the pressure but this would be more pronounced at a cold start up when the vehicle has been sitting over night.