A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all:
Print Wikipost

Advice on transmissions: 8-speed vs 6-speed (auto & manual)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its nice Audi has more manual options than most makes, but I'm not as emotionally attached to a transmission as some. Give me the most efficient tranny I can get at the best price and I'm happy.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only owned Audi's with a manual transmission, and it is a bias I freely acknowledge. Personally, I enjoy the 6 MT with the 2.0T in the A4. This combo provides a really nice combination of performance and fuel economy.

Having said this, I did have the opportunity to drive a Q5 2.0T with the new 8 speed automatic. My impression is the new auto transmission is very nice. It shifts quickly and smoothly and is a nice set up for th Q5. In my opinion, the 8 speed is a superior transmission to the 6 speed tiptronic that I have used in demo cars.

Don't know if I would go with the 8 speed in the A4, however.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

My mom has a Q5 with a 2.0T and I have an A4 with the 2.0T, both with the 8spd. I've previously had a loaner A4 2.0T but with the 6spd. I have to say, BY FAR I prefer the smoothness and response of the 8spd. I feel like with the 6spd I had cases where punching the gas left the transmission without a good gear choice. This doesn't really happen with the 8spd. Plus, highway cruising even up to 90mph is wonderfully devoid of engine noise.

The only gotcha is the 8spd does like to aggressively upshift (for fuel economy and noise reasons I guess), and there's some times when just breathing on the gas pedal is enough to cause a downshift. However, the downshifts are liquid smooth and fast, so there's really no practical issue with it -- just mentally it bugs some people. You can always put it in S gear to work around that.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone for all the information. I am still a little torn between the 6sp manual and 8sp auto, but at least I know now that either will be a good choice. Still leaning towards the manual, unless the wife trumps me.

For those that asked, I tried to teach my wife how to drive a manual, and she just couldn't get the clutch operation down, and that was in a parking lot. I would be afraid to see what would happen in traffic or on a hill, she would probably freak out (she knows this).
Old 02-22-2011, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nikos18Tq
Because I'm sure he is in a similar situation as me. No matter how much she tries she never really felt comfortable driving manual. Having kids now the last thing I need is the wife to be in a panic driving around town with the kids in the car.

Seriously? How long does it take to learn to drive a manual competently? An hour? I'm not talking about becoming Kimi Raikkonen or anything, but if she can walk and talk on a cell phone at the same time she can learn to drive a manual in less than a day.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Seriously? How long does it take to learn to drive a manual competently? An hour? I'm not talking about becoming Kimi Raikkonen or anything, but if she can walk and talk on a cell phone at the same time she can learn to drive a manual in less than a day.
Well, most often it's not about can and cannot. In order to get through the pain of learning to drive manual transmission, one either needs to see benefits in it or be given no other choice.
Take my wife for example. We used to live in Europe and she learned to drive a stick there, but she didn't drive much back then. We moved to the US 10 years ago and she got an automatic. She liked that much better than the manual, because she hadn't mastered the clutch at that point and driving the automatic seemed like a walk in the park.
I myself keep driving manuals because I enjoy that and she sees absolutely no point in going back to the "horror" of manual transmissions. She is showing some interest in driving my A4, knowing that the parking brake works like a hill-assist, but she hasn't tried it yet. That works fine for me - I'd hate it if she moved the driver seat or the mirrors or got me a scratch.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We just bought an '11 6spd a month ago. Our dealer had two identical black 8spd and traded one for a 6spd so we could have a choice. My wife wanted a manual as her last 3 series was a manual and her x3 is an auto. I wanted the 8spd as it is fast when you give it throttle, but a luxery ride that is silky smooth. The 6spd is fast, and shifts great, once you get used to the clutch. Personally I would have picked the 8spd, but since my wife will get the A4 once I get a Q7 I got the manual. I think it all depends on what kind of driving you have to do most the time, and if you like down and up shifting a lot. We have two kids(18 months and 4) and they are old enough that I don't find having a manual to be a big deal. I wouldn't have even considered it until my wife talked me into it. I do probably get worse milage with the manual because I like working up through the gears on acceleration.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
I hear you my friend but being able to drive manual versus being comfortable (etc) are 2 different things.

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Well, most often it's not about can and cannot. In order to get through the pain of learning to drive manual transmission, one either needs to see benefits in it or be given no other choice.
Take my wife for example. We used to live in Europe and she learned to drive a stick there, but she didn't drive much back then. We moved to the US 10 years ago and she got an automatic. She liked that much better than the manual, because she hadn't mastered the clutch at that point and driving the automatic seemed like a walk in the park.
I myself keep driving manuals because I enjoy that and she sees absolutely no point in going back to the "horror" of manual transmissions. She is showing some interest in driving my A4, knowing that the parking brake works like a hill-assist, but she hasn't tried it yet. That works fine for me - I'd hate it if she moved the driver seat or the mirrors or got me a scratch.
Very well put. As you stated in my wifes case she shows no interest nor the desire to learn manual. I'm sure she would be capable if the need would arise. She has driven my previous cars, '99 A4 and my '94 Corrado (actually taught her on the VW) she just never felt comfortable. I'm positive in time it would have been ok but do I really want to spend 50K on a car and have her being unsure about it.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Go for the 6 speed manual.

I tried a 2011 loaner with an 8 speed auto and noticed a very significant lag from the moment you step on the gas until the car really starts to move. It was less of an issue in the sport mode, but something that you should definitely try out beforehand on a test drive.

6 speed manual + 2.0TFSI engine is a great combination.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd hate it if she moved the driver seat or the mirrors or got me a scratch.[/QUOTE]

Too funny!