A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Specifications & General Maintenace
Print Wikipost

Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade?

Hi,

Have anyone done some simple yet great upgrade (eg better quality speakers) to the standard audio system in the P+ trim in the US? If so, what did you do and who did it? Any advice on reputable shops in the tri-state area for this kind of work? (I am interested in upgrades up to $1,5k budget)

I realize that the B&O would have been the way to go, yet the timing worked out best to go for a car on the ground as I needed a car rather quickly (was without) Car I got had all i wanted but B&O and at great value, so i went for it and is now trying to work with what i have...As I see it, can turn out great as long as i find anyone that knows what they are doing.

Please advice! (Ps, i tried to search but could not really find anything relevant to the B8 model)
Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Is it possible to add the "factory" B&O system for a short stack of $100 dollar bills, or, typically, will it be a tall stack? So many things are integrated, so I have been told, I would think aftermarket -- non Audi stuff, that is -- could be breathtakingly expensive. I have the B&O system and I like it a lot -- for the money.

I'd get it again I like it so much, in fact.

Now, if unlimted funds were available. . . .
Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest thing to do would be to add a JBL MS-8 and new amps. The OEM speakers, particularly the B&O speakers, are not bad they're just tied to some GARBAGE crossovers and are way underpowered.

Speakers are going to be an issue because Audi/B&O used some goofball sized 70mm and 80mm mids. You can rectify much of this by not worrying about the dash mids and doing a standard 7" midbass/1" tweeter component set up front, same in the rear doors, and leave it at that. You'll still have to deal with the center channel though. I'm not saying there are no 70mm or 80mm mids you can use or sets that have drivers that size, but they're RETARDED expensive.

If you want quick and easy with a very noticeable upgrade in SQ, do the MS-8 and new amps.

edit - So apparently reading comprehension owns me. Same recommendations as with the B&O upgrade but the number and size of the speakers is a bit different IIRC.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Quality sound, would you happen to have the pinout of the speakers for the standard radio of the B8 ? JBL site list the pinout for the main left anf right and sub speakers, but if you are installing the MS-8, you need also the other speakers pinout or you are in for a very time consuming installation !

Thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

try looking on ebay.de and other classifieds see if you can get the b&o speakers, i have seen them for 300 to 400 on ebay.
if not the post from quality sounds would be the way go, dont forget what sounds good to me might not be what sounds good to you!;-)
Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

IMO, the B&O is a good option to chose prior to purchase if you don't want to ever screw with the sound system.

Since you will be investing time and money after the fact, on the stock system, you may as well go aftermarket with your equipment.

The B&O is reasonably good relative to OEM stock systems in general. Decent aftermarket systems are easily better though. You will get far more bang (albeit less Olufsen) for your buck on the aftermarket.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for advice! So, going back to my original question, sounds as if new amps and upgraded door speakers (front/rear) and tweets would go quite far? What amps/speakers should I get? Who can do the job well in the NJ/PA area?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
Hey Quality sound, would you happen to have the pinout of the speakers for the standard radio of the B8 ? JBL site list the pinout for the main left anf right and sub speakers, but if you are installing the MS-8, you need also the other speakers pinout or you are in for a very time consuming installation !

Thanks
Sorry, I just saw this. MS-8 only needs two channels of input on the speakers level OR RCA inputs. The only reason you'd need to use more would be if you needed to sum the signal. If you tap the OEM amp's inputs to feed into the MS-8 then you'll have a a full-range signal to work with and you won't have to worry about signal summing to running a ton of cables into the MS-8.

Also, something like the Audison or Hertz 3" mids will fit in the dash locations and some 4" speakers will fit as well. Most tweeters will fit easily as well. Personally, I'd leave the OEM door midbasses as they're pretty awesome and you're not likely to get much better midbass performance without spending a substantial amount of time, money, and effort.

In the NJ/PA area I'd hit up Don Amann, owner of Unexpected Creations. Awesome doesn't quite cover what he can do.

Last edited by quality_sound; 05-14-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I know you only need the two fronts and sub speaker connections to get the full signal,but if you want to keep the original wiring to connect the other speakers by using the MS-8 built-in amplifiers, you need the pinout of those speakers if not, installation becomes a lot more complicated !

Unfortunately, JBL WEB site only lists the speaker you can use as the source for the signal...
Old 05-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi All,

I was looking some more today. Does anyone know how the quality is on the following
German Maestro CS65410 3 way for front
German Maestro CS6508 for rear
JL Audio amplifiers and processors.
potentially a separate sub.

Seem as if it might be a good setup, anyone that have any feedback on this? I am very close to pulling the trigger (German Maestro is the same factory and team as the old brand MB Quartz)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade?