A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Anyone else hearing a rattle in the driver's side front door?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan1524
And it begins...

I have similar rattles. I'm not sure how to open the panel. Are there screws or just tabs? And if the Aluminum panel tabs easy to break?
I'm really not sure if it's the panel. I've tried pushing on the trim while it's buzzing and it doesn't seem to stop. Would contacting Audi of America help at all?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

The buzzing, unfortunately, is back. I thought the dealer fixed it because it was gone for about a week, but I guess not.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWC1506
I'm at about 3100 miles and my first service is at 5000. Hope the dealer can address the issue.
Have them address it sooner rather than later. I took my car in to address a rattle after 9 months of ownership and was told the warranty coverage for rattles is only for 6 months. Big "boooooo-hisssssss" about that.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i had one rattle in the 16 months i've had the car and all i did to get rid of it was be patient. probably lasted about a month, maybe less. It was the fairly common rattle in the B pillar. I also had one in my rear seat, but that went away too, i think it lasted about a couple weeks.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Have them address it sooner rather than later. I took my car in to address a rattle after 9 months of ownership and was told the warranty coverage for rattles is only for 6 months. Big "boooooo-hisssssss" about that.
I already had the buzzing/rattling documented. I was past my six months by then, but had only 5600 miles. Even though the AoA warranty expired, my dealer covered the expenses which was very nice of them.

Originally Posted by astaikos10
i had one rattle in the 16 months i've had the car and all i did to get rid of it was be patient. probably lasted about a month, maybe less. It was the fairly common rattle in the B pillar. I also had one in my rear seat, but that went away too, i think it lasted about a couple weeks.
Yeah I think that's the approach that I will take from now. I'd hate to bug the dealership that has been so great to me since I got the car. I'll just wait for the buzzing to go away, although it's been there for about three months already.

I have a B-pillar rattle too. It's below ear level right?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah I think that's the approach that I will take from now. I'd hate to bug the dealership that has been so great to me since I got the car. I'll just wait for the buzzing to go away, although it's been there for about three months already.

I have a B-pillar rattle too. It's below ear level right?[/QUOTE]

yeah, exactly... i figured it was in the joint there, or something with the seatbelt. But like I said, patience paid off for me.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've noticed that the rattles aren't weather-dependent. It was 9 degrees C outside yesterday and I didn't have a single rattle. It was 9 degrees C today and I had the B-pillar rattle as well as the buzz. Quite a mystery to be honest...
Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
KSP
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been putting up with a rattle since I picked up my 2010 B8 several months ago that I could have sworn was coming from the shoulder belt tensioner. I had previously read posts that discussed adjusting the slider up/down to reduce it. This didn't work for me. What I discovered today is that it's actually coming from the plastic cover just above the seat belt anchoring point on the floor. In my case with the belt on and with my preferred seat positioning, the plastic on the belt was rubbing/vibrating/hitting up against the plastic trim on the seat creating a clicking noise that was most noticeable going over bumps at slow - moderate speeds (or in my case, packed snow/ice on side streets). I'm assuming that some self stick high density foam strips or felt applied to the seat belt plastic cover will take care of it.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealer was unable to hear my rattle (bad ears from all the pneumatic tool noises???) although I heard it as I drove away. I'm not surprised, my dealer has a poor track record with me. Sounds like a high pitched buzzing, stereo on or off, primarily while I'm on rough roads, but is still slightly audible on flat streets.

They did remove the door and were unable to find anything loose. I feel mine is coming from the triangular piece of plastic housing the B&O tweeter. It feels like it should just pop off, but I'm unwilling to force it. I'd like to take a look for myself....

I'm extremely frustrated with the damn thing. Rattles incite rage in me.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KSP
I've been putting up with a rattle since I picked up my 2010 B8 several months ago that I could have sworn was coming from the shoulder belt tensioner. I had previously read posts that discussed adjusting the slider up/down to reduce it. This didn't work for me. What I discovered today is that it's actually coming from the plastic cover just above the seat belt anchoring point on the floor. In my case with the belt on and with my preferred seat positioning, the plastic on the belt was rubbing/vibrating/hitting up against the plastic trim on the seat creating a clicking noise that was most noticeable going over bumps at slow - moderate speeds (or in my case, packed snow/ice on side streets). I'm assuming that some self stick high density foam strips or felt applied to the seat belt plastic cover will take care of it.
You, sir, are an angel. That is indeed where the B-pillar rattle is coming from for me. I readjusted my seating position slightly and it's all nice and quiet now. Thanks!

Now for the plastic "popping" noises when going over sharp bumps...Is there any way to lubricate the areas where plastic pieces meet?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else hearing a rattle in the driver's side front door?