A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Anyone familiar with B8 CVT issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with B8 CVT issues?

I've got an A4 (B8) with the Multitronic CVT. I bought it several years ago from a relative who unexpectedly had to move to Europe, so I got a great deal on it but I also didnt know much about cars at the time. The car hasn't had any issues in the six years I've owned it until a few weeks ago.

I have to stop on a hill when pulling out of my work's parking lot, and recently when I push down to accelerate, the car would just rev up to almost 6k RPM without actually moving forward. I'd wiggle it into sport mode, or into manual and back into drive, and usually that would fix it. It's extremely scary because the car will then start moving forward at 5-10mph, while I'm trying to accelerate onto a busy 45mph road where no one gives you the time of day. It still takes it 4-5 seconds to "shift" before it starts driving normally. Finally last week the "gearbox malfunction, you may continue driving" light came on.

I called my mechanic, but they're booked for another two weeks. I'm tempted to call the dealership tomorrow and take it to them, but at this point I'm worried that I need an entirely new transmission. From what I've been able to read online, the early 00s Audis had CVT issues so bad that there was a class action to fix them, but there doesn't seem to be any info on 09+ models.

I would appreciate any advice you guys might have, or if anyone knows what it likely is and how much it typically costs to fix that would extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!