A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

APR ECU Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR ECU Tune

Close to getting the APR Stage 1 tune on my '14 2.0T Quattro:

1. Is the difference in power, torque, and acceleration that noticeable? (I can't stand the under 2000RPM dead zone in stock).
2. Is the engine noise/drone significantly louder?
3. Recommend Stage 1 or Stage 2?
4. What are the minor/major drawbacks?

Thanks!

Last edited by scalco23; 10-03-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scalco23
Close to getting the APR Stage 1 tune on my '14 2.0T Quattro:

1. Is the difference in power, torque, and acceleration that noticeable? (I can't stand the under 2000RPM dead zone in stock).
2. Is the engine noise/drone significantly louder?
3. Recommend Stage 1 or Stage 2?
4. What are the minor/major drawbacks?

Thanks!
1 - Yes, but it doesn't get much better below 2k RPM. For that you need a twin-scroll turbo like the one in the BMW 2.0T engine.
2 - No.
3 - Stage 2 is not street legal if you care and it smell noticeably worse, not inside of course.
4 - Kiss your power train warranty goodbye.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default APR software / powertrain warranty

Arin at APR says, if their software is uninstalled before the car goes into the dealer for serve, the dealer's computer won't be able to detect that APR's ECU software had been installed.

After the dealer service, the APR software could then be reinstalled, and you're on your way, powertrain warranty still intact.

here's the link:

DirectPort Programming Now Available! (No more ECU Removal)

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
1 - Yes, but it doesn't get much better below 2k RPM. For that you need a twin-scroll turbo like the one in the BMW 2.0T engine.
2 - No.
3 - Stage 2 is not street legal if you care and it smell noticeably worse, not inside of course.
4 - Kiss your power train warranty goodbye.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
Arin at APR says, if their software is uninstalled before the car goes into the dealer for serve, the dealer's computer won't be able to detect that APR's ECU software had been installed.

After the dealer service, the APR software could then be reinstalled, and you're on your way, powertrain warranty still intact.

here's the link:

DirectPort Programming Now Available! (No more ECU Removal)
I can believe that, being a software engineer myself, but keep in mind that for years before they were saying their software was undetectable, just switch to the stock map with the wiper stalks and lock it to prevent reprogramming. It's amazing how many people fell for it, given that a simple check sum or an attempt to reprogram the ECU could tell the dealer there was something going on.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's some in Audizine saying it doesn't matter if you flash back to stock. There's still a way Audi can tell it the engine was out of spec due to a tune and will flag TD1.

I'm waiting till the warranty runs out on mine before tuning. Especially as my '11 needed a whole new tranny at 35000 miles.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
I can believe that, being a software engineer myself, but keep in mind that for years before they were saying their software was undetectable, just switch to the stock map with the wiper stalks and lock it to prevent reprogramming. It's amazing how many people fell for it, given that a simple check sum or an attempt to reprogram the ECU could tell the dealer there was something going on.
+1. I'm not an engineer quite on that level in software, but, for sure, if they pushed the ECU to a specific version to fix a known issue, if you flash back to something else they'd be able to catch it. And if Audi is very, very smart, they watermarked even model years and minor versions, so, getting busted is pretty certain.

I came across a new friend on a trip to Italy who raced in ANZ, and he is an old style engineer of cars who actually made the things -- he knows the Audi well. And although he says a stage 1 flash is 'safe' he said any astute dealer would know it was done, removed or not.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Plus you have to go to the APR dealer, pay money to have it removed and then take it in for service, then take it back to APR dealer and pay more to have it put back on your car - total pain in the *** depending on how much your car is at the dealer!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Initial impression of Stage 1 tune is good. Definitely feel a significant difference, especially in overall torque. The car feels much "lighter on it's feet" than before. I hear that it gets even better once it "adapts" to your driving style. I haven't driven it a whole lot so will check back in a few days with more thoughts.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scalco23
Initial impression of Stage 1 tune is good. Definitely feel a significant difference, especially in overall torque. The car feels much "lighter on it's feet" than before. I hear that it gets even better once it "adapts" to your driving style. I haven't driven it a whole lot so will check back in a few days with more thoughts.
I'm interested in your impression now, a month later.

Any change in fuel economy? What year/model is your car? is it still under warranty?
Old 11-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm, the owner himself was at my d/ship picking up his new Z28 and he told me his self that there tune couldnt be detected. Guess that was a pitch? Hmm. More research needed.

Quick Reply: APR ECU Tune