A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi of America coming through and working oil consumption problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Sorry but I gotta laugh. Sounds like you drank the kool aid. If you don't have an oil consumption problem then why would you need to add a half a qt. Also how many miles to that oil change. If true you should have said " my 2009 does not burn any oil and after 5000 miles when I do my oil change it is still as full as when I did my last oil change". 5000 miles on a 1/2 qt. is one of the great ones but it will eventually get worse. Good luck
I am using between 1/4 and 1/2 a quart every 6 months/5000 miles. I consider this normal maintenance and not a problem. I even need to put air in the tires and wash it once in a while, but you would probably consider this a problem as well...
Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
When they did phase 2 (replace the pistons), they also wanted to replace the recirculating valve (but I got billed for that part; $550 installed, overpriced, but whatever)
Farther up in this thread is a pdf attachment showing the settlement. You might want to read that. As part of the settlement Audi has to reimburse anybody that paid for the Phase 1 or 2......even if they have since sold the car. Just show proof that u paid.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
I am using between 1/4 and 1/2 a quart every 6 months/5000 miles. I consider this normal maintenance and not a problem. I even need to put air in the tires and wash it once in a while, but you would probably consider this a problem as well...
You still drank the kool aid. Unless you use N2 the weather will affect your tires and washing the car is an option not mandatory. Burning oil is not normal but if you can live with it then good for you. I'm coming up on my next 5000 mile oil change interval on my Lexus and with 30,000 miles it is as clean and full as when I last changed it.I also checked the oil in my Jag XKR (510 SC HP) and after 4000 miles it hasn't lost a drop. Audi has a poor engine design but managed to sell the public that it is normal. Enjoy the drive.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
They settled the class-action suit: http://business.cch.com/plsd/AlivVolkswagen.pdf
Important to note that it is not officially approved just yet... more to come on 10/20
Old 10-12-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by stray123
Farther up in this thread is a pdf attachment showing the settlement. You might want to read that. As part of the settlement Audi has to reimburse anybody that paid for the Phase 1 or 2......even if they have since sold the car. Just show proof that u paid.
The turbo recirculation valve is a problematic part as delivered in 2009, and it will result in some oil consumption if torn. Designated "N249" in the service manual and sits on the front of the turbo assembly. Audi parts just calls it "cut-off valve", part number 06H145710D.

2009 Audi A4 Quattro Parts - Audi Genuine Parts & Accessories eStore

If you don't have the D version, you can probably bet it's not operating well. But from what I can tell, it is unrelated to the oil consumption issue scope of the lawsuit and phase1/2 oil consumption scenario. It's just a crappy part that will fail eventually.

Phase 1 refers to replacing the pressure regulating valve, which sits on top of the engine. I can't find any actual part on Audi parts under my specific vehicle (note, calling it the PCV would seem not entirely accurate since the PCV is an integral part of the larger pressure regulating valve part).

My phase 1 test, where they replaced it (for free) reports part number 06H103495J, called a "separator". Which seems correct as the purpose of the component is oil/air separation. Audi parts does have that part number, but doesn't relate it to my 2009 A4 Avant. But ECS refers to the same part number in their PCV repair kit:

ECS News Audi B8 A4 2.0T PCV Service Kits

Look for document pps_922903_2l_tfsi_caeb_enigine_w_acs_eng.pdf on the Net and check out pages 14 and 15.

A clear video I ran across that shows replacing the "PCV" in a A4 2.0T:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYIzpX3ptjQ

Phase 2 involved the pistons and rings, but nothing about the turbo recirc valve. Without acquiring records from dealerships about phase 1 vs phase 2 results and if/when the recirc valve was replaced to draw some conclusion about if replacing the recirc valve solved excessive consumption, or that not replacing it caused continued excessive consumption, ....

I do see the part in the PDF about extending the warranty for oil consumption issues to 80k, but I was already at 85k. And it's hard to say if the recirc valve issue alone would have demonstrated "excessive consumption". Remember Audi officially uses some kind of stupid low mileage per quart consumed to define excessive.

To never talk to AoA or an Audi dealership again is enough for me to let it go at this point.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've got a 2010 A4 Avant with roughly 71k, and up until 50k, used about 1-1.5qts of oil between oil changes (all performed by me). Now, I've lost track of how much it's using. It had roughly 8k on it when I drove it off the lot. My commute to work from 2010 through the end of 2013 consisted of 70 miles to work round trip, 5 days a week. Since changing jobs in November of last year, my commute has drastically changed to only 11-12 miles a day round trip (to the train station and back). I've put around 6k miles on my car in the last 11 months, and I think that it's safe to say that I average 1qt of Fuchs Titan SuperSyn 5W-40 every 2-3 fill ups, or 700-900 miles. I have replaced the PCV valve at the 66k mark, but that just fixed my emissions fault codes for inspection. I've had a Forge diverter valve on since day one, and a Unitronic stage 1+ tune as well.

I think it's safe to say that I've got an oil consumption problem here too. No black smoke out the rear end, or oil on the floor of the garage, or leakage around the block or heads, or loss of power. Any suggestions on how to pursue this?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old stories! they never end.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hoodwink55
Any suggestions on how to pursue this?
Try doing what I said in the first post. Write an e-mail to Audi of America explaining your situation.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770

I do see the part in the PDF about extending the warranty for oil consumption issues to 80k, but I was already at 85k. And it's hard to say if the recirc valve issue alone would have demonstrated "excessive consumption". Remember Audi officially uses some kind of stupid low mileage per quart consumed to define excessive.

To never talk to AoA or an Audi dealership again is enough for me to let it go at this point.
My car as a 2009 with 86,000 miles was past the mileage in the pdf too, but they worked with me anyways.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2009 A4 Avant CPO with 98,800 miles on odometer. I had the car for little over 3 years. Last week, the engine wouldn't start and had to get the car towed to a dealer nearby. The dealer told me that the engine seized and that I have to put a new engine in. I was under assumption that the repair would be covered under the CPO warranty, but the dealer said that the time lapsed about 4 months ago.

The dealer quoted $12,000 for new engine which is more than trade-in value of the car. I still owe about $10K on the loan with Audi Financial. I'm at a loss as to what I should do. I did contact Audi Care, but they are only offering $2500 discount on the repair which is not very meaningful at this point. The car has been maintained properly with all the oil changes and new spark plugs at 50,000 mile mark. I only use premium gas. I don't understand how an engine less than 100,000 mile can crapped out without a warning. At around 45,000 miles, the engine has been re-bored with cylinder rings by the dealer because I was losing about a quart of oil every month. This could possibly contributed to the pre-mature engine failure.

I'm really sorry that I didn't get rid of this POS before the warranty ran out on me.

Quick Reply: Audi of America coming through and working oil consumption problem