A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi of America coming through and working oil consumption problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bestoverall
I have a 2009 A4 Avant CPO with 98,800 miles on odometer. I had the car for little over 3 years. Last week, the engine wouldn't start and had to get the car towed to a dealer nearby. The dealer told me that the engine seized and that I have to put a new engine in. I was under assumption that the repair would be covered under the CPO warranty, but the dealer said that the time lapsed about 4 months ago.

The dealer quoted $12,000 for new engine which is more than trade-in value of the car. I still owe about $10K on the loan with Audi Financial. I'm at a loss as to what I should do. I did contact Audi Care, but they are only offering $2500 discount on the repair which is not very meaningful at this point. The car has been maintained properly with all the oil changes and new spark plugs at 50,000 mile mark. I only use premium gas. I don't understand how an engine less than 100,000 mile can crapped out without a warning. At around 45,000 miles, the engine has been re-bored with cylinder rings by the dealer because I was losing about a quart of oil every month. This could possibly contributed to the pre-mature engine failure.

I'm really sorry that I didn't get rid of this POS before the warranty ran out on me.
See if the dealer is willing to buy it back as it is.
The other option is to see if some indie shop can get you an engine from a junk yard and install it.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bestoverall
I have a 2009 A4 Avant CPO with 98,800 miles on odometer. I had the car for little over 3 years. Last week, the engine wouldn't start and had to get the car towed to a dealer nearby. The dealer told me that the engine seized and that I have to put a new engine in. I was under assumption that the repair would be covered under the CPO warranty, but the dealer said that the time lapsed about 4 months ago.

The dealer quoted $12,000 for new engine which is more than trade-in value of the car. I still owe about $10K on the loan with Audi Financial. I'm at a loss as to what I should do. I did contact Audi Care, but they are only offering $2500 discount on the repair which is not very meaningful at this point. The car has been maintained properly with all the oil changes and new spark plugs at 50,000 mile mark. I only use premium gas. I don't understand how an engine less than 100,000 mile can crapped out without a warning. At around 45,000 miles, the engine has been re-bored with cylinder rings by the dealer because I was losing about a quart of oil every month. This could possibly contributed to the pre-mature engine failure.

I'm really sorry that I didn't get rid of this POS before the warranty ran out on me.
You've put another 50K+ miles on it and now you want Audi to pay for a engine failure. I guess my 1st question is what caused the failure. It seems that the rebuild is not the problem so either you ran it out of oil or water for this to happen. What did the dealer say is the cause for the failure. It sounds like you are SOL and can either fine a salvage replacement or sell it for a loss. Good luck
Old 10-26-2014, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stray123
My car as a 2009 with 86,000 miles was past the mileage in the pdf too, but they worked with me anyways.
By "working with you" does that mean they did the repairs for NO COST. If you had to pay any money then they got you and only made you think you got a deal. Audi as with any other mfg. will try to pacify you so that their design problems aren't exposed. They are avoiding this engine oil issue as a recall because of the expense but they most likely have a policy statement to the dealers on how to handle this with the customers. The phase 1 and phase 2 is the plan and if they can convince you that they will give you a deal then they won.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update...

The oil light came on again yesterday, just a hair under 400 miles since the last time it came on and had to add a qt of oil.
Does anybody have a copy of the letter that they wrote to AoA, and received a successful outcome?
Old 11-06-2014, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default **UPDATE**

So my Audi has been at Audi Concord for about a week now. I failed the Phase 1 and they agreed to replace my pistons free of charge. They also gave me a 2015 Audi S4 for a loaner car...free of charge. They should be done with my car in about a week, but I hope they take their time. This S4 is soooooo much quicker than my A4. :-)
Old 11-06-2014, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
By "working with you" does that mean they did the repairs for NO COST. If you had to pay any money then they got you and only made you think you got a deal. Audi as with any other mfg. will try to pacify you so that their design problems aren't exposed. They are avoiding this engine oil issue as a recall because of the expense but they most likely have a policy statement to the dealers on how to handle this with the customers. The phase 1 and phase 2 is the plan and if they can convince you that they will give you a deal then they won.
I haven't paid a single penny, but during Phase 1 I got a free $100K A8 loaner car and now I have a $60K S4 for free for 2 weeks. The engine work is easily worth about $4K, so I'd say you probably had a poor experience with the wrong dealer. My next Audi will be from Audi in Concord, California.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stray123
I haven't paid a single penny, but during Phase 1 I got a free $100K A8 loaner car and now I have a $60K S4 for free for 2 weeks. The engine work is easily worth about $4K, so I'd say you probably had a poor experience with the wrong dealer. My next Audi will be from Audi in Concord, California.
That wasn't "working with you " it was more like fixing the problem and "doing the right thing". When you get it back it will be the best time to turn it in for another brand before the issue starts again and it will. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
That wasn't "working with you " it was more like fixing the problem and "doing the right thing". When you get it back it will be the best time to turn it in for another brand before the issue starts again and it will. Good luck.
Considering that my car is WAY past even the extended warranty in the settlement, and they could have given me a crap loaner, I'd say they are working with me. They could have told me to kick rocks. It was dealership discretion.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The settlement has been preliminarily approved (see attached document). They still have to go through a "settlement fairness" hearing to verify the proposed settlement is fair to all parties and a "final approval of settlement" hearing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AlivVolkswagen 2014-10-16.pdf (61.4 KB, 495 views)

Last edited by Dirt; 11-17-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
My 2009 A4 2.0T does not burn any oil. Am I one of the Lucky ones ?

I do an oil change every 6 months and need to add about 1/2 a quart between oil changes.
I do mostly highway driving.
My 2011 hardly burns any oil so far too. I think the break in period is critical. That's why I did not opt for a test driven sports package new A4. Too many people want to "see what she does" before the engine is settled in. I also think this might happen to new owners who are a little impatient with their new toy to break it in properly. Owned a few Audi/VW Turbos and have not had the problems that I've heard about. Knock on wood.

Quick Reply: Audi of America coming through and working oil consumption problem