A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi of America coming through and working oil consumption problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirt
The settlement has been preliminarily approved (see attached document). They still have to go through a "settlement fairness" hearing to verify the proposed settlement is fair to all parties and a "final approval of settlement" hearing.
May 2015? jesus!
Old 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shimmy23
May 2015? jesus!
Ouch. I hadn't read that far. That's a loooong ways off.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've had my car back for about a week now. I just got back from a TDY,so I haven't driven it too much, but I put 200 miles on it so far and the oil gauge hasn't moved. Normally I would see a slight drop. So far, so good. :-)
Old 12-08-2014, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by stray123
I've had my car back for about a week now. I just got back from a TDY,so I haven't driven it too much, but I put 200 miles on it so far and the oil gauge hasn't moved. Normally I would see a slight drop. So far, so good. :-)
"TDY", where are you stationed at?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Howd this turn out? I use Michael Allen at Concord as well.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

We replaced our 2005 B6 A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT with a 2009 A4 Quattro Premium Plus 2.0T 6MT with about 91k miles from a non-Audi dealer in Ft Wayne in August.

It turns out we are the third owner of the A4; the previous owner bought the car as an Audi CPO vehicle from a dealer in the metro Detroit area where the car was serviced regularly (I spoke with someone in the service department of that Audi dealer who was able to tell me about the service record of the car).

Soon after we got the car, I noticed the steadily declining MMI engine oil level readings after a few of my 100-mile round trip commutes to the office. We then made a longer roadtrip, putting on about 700 miles in a weekend, returning home with the MMI level at zero bars (but not low enough to turn on the engine oil warning light). I figured this was about 1,200 miles since the last oil change, so I contacted the local Audi dealer (Audi Sylvania) to discuss the oil consumption issue.

Audi Sylvania performed part 1 of the oil consumption test at 92,408 miles in early October for about $155 (essentially topping up the oil and making some unknown computer connection). At the time, the SA told us to bring the car back the next time the engine oil light came on for the measurement part of the oil consumption test.

About 1,600 mile later (at just over 94k miles), the MMI level was down to 1 bar, I was out-of-town for work (not driving the car daily), and we were looking at a long Thanksgiving holiday roadtrip coming up during which the engine oil warning light was likely to come on (a long away from home).

After discussing this with the dealer's service rep (not an SA), my wife brought the car over to the dealer to have the remaining engine oil measured; they found that it was using about 0.57 quart per 1,000 miles. According to the SA who spoke with my wife, the cut-off for getting new pistons/rings covered appears to be 0.4 quart per 1,000 miles (1 qt per 2,500 miles).

I later confirmed with the Audi Sylvania service rep that the piston/ring replacement was going to be covered completely, along with a loaner car for the duration of the repair.

We left our A4 with the dealer Monday morning to start the repair work (with just over 95k), and they sent me off with a 2015 A4 S-line with 141 miles on the odometer. We expect to get the car back tomorrow afternoon following road testing & cleanup.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hoodwink55
"TDY", where are you stationed at?
Travis AFB, CA
Old 12-15-2014, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bomb39
Howd this turn out? I use Michael Allen at Concord as well.
Everything turned out great. My oil quantity gage is still full. I pretty much got a "rebuilt" engine for free. Michael Allen was a pleasure to deal with and went out of his way to make me a happy customer. He is the single reason that I will remain a loyal Audi customer. Oh, and the lady in charge of giving out the loaner vehicles was awesome too! I had a free $100K A8 (for the 1st week) and a $60K+ S4 given to me for the 2nd week. No complaints, except that I had to give them back!!

Last edited by stray123; 12-15-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I told the service advisor at the 65K service that oil consumption had been increasing and most recently went 1100 mi before warning light. They did stage 1 at no charge, went 2700 mi this time. Then they did an oil consumption measurement test, and said that was still not within spec, so now they are doing stage 2 at no charge. I really like the car and I am pleased that Audi is taking care of this without any hassle to me. It's a 2010 Avant that I bought CPO at 25K miles, dealer is Hoehn in Carlsbad CA.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the car back yesterday, new pistons and rings and a bunch of gaskets and seals. Feels like there is significantly increased power. I wonder if that's from improving the piston ring seals or if they reflashed the CPU for more immediate tip-in or ? Anyways, very pleased and my 65 K mi car looks and feels like new again.

Quick Reply: Audi of America coming through and working oil consumption problem