A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 A4 and also got the letter. I need to add about 1 quart every 4500 miles and Audi calls that normal. Its not enough to bother me so I am not going to have any work done. I assume by service adjustment they are saying we could get paid back for money out of pocket but if Audi pays for it then there is nothing to recover anyway?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

See my post below
Old 02-10-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I called the dealership that usually services my car. The guy was well aware of this oil consumption situation. He said to bring my car in and they will start a test/repair process. They want to see how much oil I use within 1,000k. Or if the light comes on…whichever happens first. Then I bring it back in and they replace some parts (the easy fix) and we do it again. Then if that doesn't fix it, they replace the piston rings (gaskets?) …..The repairs are based on VIN#. So some parts they replace on one car may not be the same on another. So although it's not technically a recall, they are fixing it.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I found the answer to one of my questions, thanks to a previous post:

http://business.cch.com/plsd/AlivVolkswagen.pdf
Last part of #4.

"A Service Adjustment performed under this section during the Notice period precludes Settlement Class Members from opting out of the Settlement Class."

So does this mean that if we get our car repaired at no charge, we can't be part of the lawsuit?
Old 02-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no, precludes Settlement Class Members from opting out of the Settlement Class means that you can still opt in but you cannot opt out.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by trlyka
Last part of #4.

"A Service Adjustment performed under this section during the Notice period precludes Settlement Class Members from opting out of the Settlement Class."

So does this mean that if we get our car repaired at no charge, we can't be part of the lawsuit?
Come to think of it. I do have all the oil changes ever done to this car. The previous owner I bought it off of was very persistent.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ccoaston
Come to think of it. I do have all the oil changes ever done to this car. The previous owner I bought it off of was very persistent.
Persistent to sell you the car, or good with keeping up on maintenance?
Old 02-12-2015, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Persistent to sell you the car, or good with keeping up on maintenance?

If I was him, I would be on both. You ever hear someone thats selling you a apple product and they don't even work for apple? They love the kool aid so much, they will give you every detail and experience
Old 02-13-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dropped my car off Wednesday for the first leg of the testing. They filled it with oil, and updated the software. Then I drive it 1,000k or until the oil light comes on. I bring it back in and they check the levels/weight and send the findings to Audi. At that point, they determine if the oil loss is acceptable or not. If not, they replace the piston rings. Got an A3 as a loaner. Nice, but not like my A4.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dropped my car off Wednesday for the first leg of the testing. They filled it with oil, and updated the software. Then I drive it 1,000k or until the oil light comes on. I bring it back in and they check the levels/weight and send the findings to Audi. At that point, they determine if the oil loss is acceptable or not. If not, they replace the piston rings. Got an A3 as a loaner. Nice, but not like my A4.
I was wondering do they charge you for the oil change? Or is it free due to the lawsuit? I usually go to my own mechanic for oil changes which is a lot cheaper than Audi.

Quick Reply: Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use