A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I got the letter as well, but I won't benefit from it. I sold my 2010 A4 to a BMW dealer in June of 2011, when I got tired of the BS being fed to me by AoA and my dealer. My car was burning a quart every 800-900 miles, and they told me it was normal...
BMW in turn sold the car to an Audi dealer down the street, and they took 8 weeks to certify the car, so I assume they did the oil consumption fix. I'm glad they finally are dealing with the issue but it's too late for me, I will never consider buying another Audi. It's just not worth the aggravation (had other issues with the car too, such as having to fight to get the steering TSB done, and the control arms replaced (also TSB)...
I'm on my second BMW and have not had a major problem, and neither has burned a drop of oil--a 535i and a 535d.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default What do you mean, "they determine if the oil loss is acceptable or not?".

Originally Posted by trlyka
Dropped my car off Wednesday for the first leg of the testing. They filled it with oil, and updated the software. Then I drive it 1,000k or until the oil light comes on. I bring it back in and they check the levels/weight and send the findings to Audi. At that point, they determine if the oil loss is acceptable or not. If not, they replace the piston rings. Got an A3 as a loaner. Nice, but not like my A4.
My car burns a quart of oil every 1,200 miles. If my dealership determines that that amount is "acceptable," they won't do the work as required in the class action lawsuit?

And has anybody had problems with a dealership because they (the car owner) performed oil and filter changes elsewhere or did it themselves? When my warranty expired a year ago, I performed oil and filter changes myself. How will this affect me?

Last edited by A4Driver; 02-24-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:20 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
My car burns a quart of oil every 1,200 miles. If my dealership determines that that amount is "acceptable," they won't do the work as required in the class action lawsuit?

And has anybody had problems with a dealership because they (the car owner) performed oil and filter changes elsewhere or did it themselves? When my warranty expired a year ago, I performed oil and filter changes myself. How will this affect me?
I would say you are above the threshold. I just had my pistons done and the
threshold was about .3L in 1,000kms, which is about 1 qt in 1,500- 1,600 miles.
You can certainly do your own oil changes, but they will ask to see receipts for oil /filters, and info on when you changed the oil. I do all my own basic maintenance and repairs and keep all the details on record.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just dropped my car off at the dealer as we speak. They said that the person that owned the car already got the oil consumption fix(at 55,000) as he showed me papers of all the things that were included in the repair and test. My car has 88,000 miles on it and i got my oil changed at 86,XXX, the oil status bar shows no oil in the car and the oil light indicator isn't present. They are goign to look at it but, he said it may be a leak or a sensor. When I looked at my oil status it was showing a little above the MIN level now none. Like I said no oil light came on.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

the model I have 2009 audi a4 2.0T
Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Art234
I got the letter as well, but I won't benefit from it. I sold my 2010 A4 to a BMW dealer in June of 2011, when I got tired of the BS being fed to me by AoA and my dealer. My car was burning a quart every 800-900 miles, and they told me it was normal...
BMW in turn sold the car to an Audi dealer down the street, and they took 8 weeks to certify the car, so I assume they did the oil consumption fix. I'm glad they finally are dealing with the issue but it's too late for me, I will never consider buying another Audi. It's just not worth the aggravation (had other issues with the car too, such as having to fight to get the steering TSB done, and the control arms replaced (also TSB)...
I'm on my second BMW and have not had a major problem, and neither has burned a drop of oil--a 535i and a 535d.
I did roughly the same thing... traded my Audi A4 after getting tired of AoA doing nothing but telling me a quart of oil every 500 miles was normal. I loved my Audi, but will never buy another one. To the dealers credit, they "topped off" my Audi often and without charge. They didn't agree with AoA that it was normal, but really couldn't do much about it. I think AoA was in the middle of the lawsuit so they were not going to admit anything to me for sure...

Originally Posted by ccoaston
Just dropped my car off at the dealer as we speak. They said that the person that owned the car already got the oil consumption fix(at 55,000) as he showed me papers of all the things that were included in the repair and test. My car has 88,000 miles on it and i got my oil changed at 86,XXX, the oil status bar shows no oil in the car and the oil light indicator isn't present. They are goign to look at it but, he said it may be a leak or a sensor. When I looked at my oil status it was showing a little above the MIN level now none. Like I said no oil light came on.
When the oil status indicator shows no bars, it's 1 quart low not empty... FYI.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

.....So audi said they topped me off. The oil level is at max now. Is that topping off?
Old 03-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had no leaks but the oil seem like it went fast. I have to look at my last oil change but i swear i got it at 86k and now it has 88k
Old 03-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just looked at my last invoice. I had 85,183. I just took it in cause the oil status had no indication of MIN or MAX so there was very little oil. Then I took it last week and they said there are no leaks anywhere. I guess we will monitor it
Old 03-11-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

I took my car in to my dealership today for the excessive oil use "service adjustment."

The invoice from them said:
"Performed oil consumption update, replaced crankcase breather valve, replaced front crank seal and bolt, performed ECM software update."

I must mention that the dealership, Fathers & Sons of West Springfield, Mass., took care of this with the least amount of aggravation on my part. The service rep was very courteous and professional, and they gave me a brand-new A4 loaner car. They called me when my car was ready, and I went and picked up my freshly washed car. Of course, there was no charge.

I'm hoping this settles my excessive oil usage issue.

Quick Reply: Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use