A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use

Old 03-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi will fix it up to 80,000 miles and 8 yrs.

Go to Oil Consumption Settlement > mainpage > Home to get a copy of the lawsuit. Audi will fix it. If you have records of all oil changes that helps. If you bought it new then even better. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by quint1968
Since day 1 of buying this car I've had nothing but issues with oil consumption.

The dealership I bought it from said it was sensor and it wasn't covered under the extended warranty. After those were replaced - they said they don't know and I should take it to Audi.

I took the car to Audi last week on a Monday - on Friday of that same week I went in to start the car and it sounded funny. I had it towed to Audi. They said the engine is seized. The car has less than 60000 miles on it.

Now they are dealing with the extended warranty company. This is just blowing my mind. I'm dreading finding out if the company won't cover the new engine. What else can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default more lawsuit information.

What yr and model is your Audi. Fight the dealer ship they have to fix it. The phone for the lawsuit administrator is 1-866-591-7231. The dealer should fix it with no problem. They have been lying to you and thousands for yrs now.

Originally Posted by quint1968
Since day 1 of buying this car I've had nothing but issues with oil consumption.

The dealership I bought it from said it was sensor and it wasn't covered under the extended warranty. After those were replaced - they said they don't know and I should take it to Audi.

I took the car to Audi last week on a Monday - on Friday of that same week I went in to start the car and it sounded funny. I had it towed to Audi. They said the engine is seized. The car has less than 60000 miles on it.

Now they are dealing with the extended warranty company. This is just blowing my mind. I'm dreading finding out if the company won't cover the new engine. What else can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got mine from a Audi dealer & it was Certified Pre-owned. That saved me because I think if I bought it new, I would've been over the mileage for the oil test. So it goes in on April 6 for the rebuild. We'll see.

Question. Does the car have a timing belt or chain? owners manual says belt. But the mechanic I was talking to said Chain. I just don't want to find out at 120,000 miles that it is a belt :/
Old 03-28-2015, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lcmm55
Go to Oil Consumption Settlement > mainpage > Home to get a copy of the lawsuit. Audi will fix it. If you have records of all oil changes that helps. If you bought it new then even better. Good Luck.
The Settlement Agreement clearly states that, upon making an appointment (and subject to service records), the "Service Adjustment" will be performed. I.e, they will make the prescribed replacements. However, both my dealer and Audi USA maintain that the old protocol (testing, more testing, Audi review and approval) is still in effect. If true, not much has been accomplished. I've tried without success so far to reach lead class counsel for clarification. Do you have an understanding of just what is required of Audi under the Settlement? It certainly reads as if the fix is automatic and not subject to whether or not Audi deems it warranted. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think the settlement has had final approval yet. However, I think Audi has started to move ahead with the repairs. So, unless I read the settlement info wrong, I think it's still in Audi's hands to decide what to do...

Anyone else see that differently ?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The hearing to approve the settlement is in May, and I'm sure it will be approved. Class counsel at this point just wants to get paid; not fight. No doubt the oil test hassle will remain rather than the deal (make an appointment and get repaired) described in the settlement. Expect I'll not bother unless the oil interval on the 2010 Avant gets worse before I trade it in a year or two. The oil thing's less bothersome to me than the dropping of the Avant.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default being repaired

Originally Posted by Davisjl
I don't think the settlement has had final approval yet. However, I think Audi has started to move ahead with the repairs. So, unless I read the settlement info wrong, I think it's still in Audi's hands to decide what to do...

Anyone else see that differently ?
..I received my settlement paperwork in the mail. Then I started to realize that my car was going thru excessive oil. I bought a A4 2.0 turbo last March with 48k on it. I had my oil changed about a month or so after I bought it and never paid attention I was using so much oil because I don't drive a lot. But after the letter I realized I had been putting in a qt about every 600-800 miles. So after about 5000 miles I realized I had put in about 8 QTS of oil. So I contacted the Audi dealer near me and made a appt and went in they had to give my car a Audi oil change in order to do the test. So I let them perform stage one and they told me not to add any oil just to notify them once the light came on. About a month later I went thru the qt of oil and only about 700 miles. So they performed stage 2 test and came back to me about an hour later and notified me that my engine was approved to have the piston and rings replaced. I had to bring it back to them the following Monday which was this past Monday. I dropped it off and picked up a free loaner car they told me it would take roughly a week to rebuild it. So I will let you know how I make out. I don't know about them performing the repairs ahead of time or not. But I did speak with the parts department manager that they have been rebuilding roughly 2-3 cars per week. He said that a majority of cars are not repaired under stage one they have to be rebuilt instead. I hope this helps you with your question. I am dealing with a dealer in Syracuse, NY they are a pretty big dealership here.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default My experience so far

Hi everyone,

I'm the owner of a 2011 A5 with the 2.0 and I thought I'd share my experience here since there isnt much going on with this topic in the A5 forum.

I previously owned a 2005 B7 A4 2.0 and a 2009 TT with the 2.0. Other than Audi's maintenance program and a few times that I was travelling I changed the oil on those cars myself. Usually more often than the recommended 10k miles. On those cars I noticed a loss of about 1 quart per 10,000 miles.

A few years ago I found out that some pain that I had was from damage to my spinal cord so I had to quit working on cars and buy something more comfortable. When I got the A5 (A CPO with the extended warranty) it took some getting used to not having a dipstick but I still checked the oil often out of habit.

Between about 35k miles and 36k miles I noticed the oil display go from full to below minimum. I took it to the dealer where they performed an oil consumption test and according to the invoice as per TSB 2027731 replaced the crankcase breather valve, front crank oil seal, and performed an ECU software update.

The oil consumption was fine until about 63k miles (Currently around 66k). I've been adding oil at about 1 quart every 1,000 miles. So much that I bought an aftermarket dipstick from europaparts.com to check the level. When the computer is showing less than min there is right at the minimum line on the dipstick with the motor cold.

After getting the letter about the lawsuit I brought the car in for service. They did an oil consumption test, topped it off, and asked me to run it until the low oil indicator was on. The indicator came on roughly 1200 miles later and well after showing under min on the display.

I'm taking the car back in and will see how it goes. I know that they did not charge anything to look at the car or do the test. Typically they would charge the CPO deductible since the car is past it's standard warranty but from what I read in the lawsuit the warranty is extended on this issue so I'm assuming that's why there was no charge.

I'll come back and post any updates.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Follow-up

Originally Posted by WolfStewart
Hi everyone,

I'm the owner of a 2011 A5 with the 2.0 and I thought I'd share my experience here since there isnt much going on with this topic in the A5 forum.

I previously owned a 2005 B7 A4 2.0 and a 2009 TT with the 2.0. Other than Audi's maintenance program and a few times that I was travelling I changed the oil on those cars myself. Usually more often than the recommended 10k miles. On those cars I noticed a loss of about 1 quart per 10,000 miles.

A few years ago I found out that some pain that I had was from damage to my spinal cord so I had to quit working on cars and buy something more comfortable. When I got the A5 (A CPO with the extended warranty) it took some getting used to not having a dipstick but I still checked the oil often out of habit.

Between about 35k miles and 36k miles I noticed the oil display go from full to below minimum. I took it to the dealer where they performed an oil consumption test and according to the invoice as per TSB 2027731 replaced the crankcase breather valve, front crank oil seal, and performed an ECU software update.

The oil consumption was fine until about 63k miles (Currently around 66k). I've been adding oil at about 1 quart every 1,000 miles. So much that I bought an aftermarket dipstick from europaparts.com to check the level. When the computer is showing less than min there is right at the minimum line on the dipstick with the motor cold.

After getting the letter about the lawsuit I brought the car in for service. They did an oil consumption test, topped it off, and asked me to run it until the low oil indicator was on. The indicator came on roughly 1200 miles later and well after showing under min on the display.

I'm taking the car back in and will see how it goes. I know that they did not charge anything to look at the car or do the test. Typically they would charge the CPO deductible since the car is past it's standard warranty but from what I read in the lawsuit the warranty is extended on this issue so I'm assuming that's why there was no charge.

I'll come back and post any updates.
Update: The Audi dealer determined after the oil consumption test that the car was consuming 1.29 quarts per 1,000 miles.

They decided to replace the pistons and rings. There's no mention of the manufacture date of the car or anything else that points to why they decided to replace the pistons other than the oil consumption test. The service description states that they drained the oil, coolant, and AC system, removed the engine, upper/lower oil pans, oil pump, and cylinder head to do the replacement. Then re-installed the engine, refilled the fluids, tested for leaks and pressure tested the coolant system. If you search Audi oil consumption there's a good video of the process on youtube with a Audi tech doing something similar to a Q5 with a similar issue.

All of the work was done under warranty which I assume is the extended warranty on this issue because the car has 66k miles on it and there's no mention on the invoice of any CPO warranty work.

I didn't have to press the issue to get this done. It was their suggestion after the oil consumption test. They gave me a loaner for a few days. It's was a painless experience so far. I'll keep my eye on the consumption for awhile and come back and give an update.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2009 a4 2.0 cabriolet with 42k miles. Noticed higher oil consumption and in last week to dealer to have second part of test done. Took them 3 days to get in touch/hear back from technical line. I was told that I positively failed (1qt/less then 1000 miles) but that my engine was later than class action so not part of that?!?! Needs new piston rings and a $3850. Repair. Offered to do it (good customer, dealer who sold it to me, etcetera) for $500 'deductible'. Said they do it once a week and backed up for 3-4 weeks but could get me in. Verified with Audi customer care that vin not part of class action but seems absurd. Obviously having the same issue but not covering it? Audi customer care told me 'if the dealer is offering that, it is a really good deal so you should take advantage of it'. Does that really mean my dealer is eating the cost? I find that hard to believe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use