A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi Drive Select - Steering Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi Drive Select - Steering Adjustment

I'm interested in your experience with the steering adjustability offered by Audi Drive Select. To what extent does it affect steering precision, feel, weight, response to input - that sort of thing. Is there a downside to the 'sportier' steering offered by ADS ? Do those of you who have it leave it engaged all the time, or just when driving in a 'spirited' manner?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I assume you mean the Dynamic Steering that is available as part of ADS.
I have it also in my second A4 (MY-14). I feel that it is differently implemented than it was in my first A4 (first model year of B8). In the first car the Dynamic setting added a lot of weight. That felt a bit artificial. The steering ratio is speed dependent.

I don't think the ratio changed with the setting in the first car, but I'm not so sure about the face lifted one. In this car I have also the Sport Diff. The description about it says it also makes the steering ratio more direct. I don't know about that (maybe there is a difference in case the Sport Diff is ordered but not Dynamic Steering?). Anyway, if my memory serves me I feel that the new car in the Auto setting is a little less direct, at least at small steering angles (<45 deg). Without having hard facts I think that the ratio (or speed sensitivity) changes when put in Dynamic. Dynamic also feels more unlinear (more direct at larger steering angles).

Anyway, I like it over the standard steering because it is more direct (at least at the speed I take the corners). The Dynamic setting in the new car feels also more adaptive and adds a better balanced weight.

I don't race on tracks, so maybe others can contribute about the precision.
It might be that the unlinearity that I feel is more pronounced in the face lifted version, or it might come when combined with the sport diff.

Just to clarify potential misunderstandings, the Dynamic Steering is always speed sensitive and at lower speed more direct than standard. It can not be "switched to standard".

Last edited by audi8k; 01-25-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
I assume you mean the Dynamic Steering that is available as part of ADS.
I have it also in my second A4 (MY-14). I feel that it is differently implemented than it was in my first A4 (first model year of B8). In the first car the Dynamic setting added a lot of weight. That felt a bit artificial. The steering ratio is speed dependent.

I don't think the ratio changed with the setting in the first car, but I'm not so sure about the face lifted one. In this car I have also the Sport Diff. The description about it says it also makes the steering ratio more direct. I don't know about that (maybe there is a difference in case the Sport Diff is ordered but not Dynamic Steering?). Anyway, if my memory serves me I feel that the new car in the Auto setting is a little less direct, at least at small steering angles (<45 deg). Without having hard facts I think that the ratio (or speed sensitivity) changes when put in Dynamic. Dynamic also feels more unlinear (more direct at larger steering angles).

Anyway, I like it over the standard steering because it is more direct (at least at the speed I take the corners). The Dynamic setting in the new car feels also more adaptive and adds a better balanced weight.

I don't race on tracks, so maybe others can contribute about the precision.
It might be that the unlinearity that I feel is more pronounced in the face lifted version, or it might come when combined with the sport diff.

Just to clarify potential misunderstandings, the Dynamic Steering is always speed sensitive and at lower speed more direct than standard. It can not be "switched to standard".
Thanks for your reply. I've never driven a car with ADS; hence my inquiry.

I'd earlier watched This Audi video, which attempts to explain it.

You mentioned that the steering cannot be 'switched' to standard. I confess I'm confused, given that the video link above appears to suggest otherwise.

My understanding (though I could be wrong) is, with ADS, the driver can select between 'standard' steering, which Audi apparently calls 'comfort', and 'dynamic' steering.

I've read here that, apparently the dynamic steering is accomplished though software, rather than hardware (the latter is required, for instance, in the case of the adaptive suspension).

I've also read that, with VCDS software and the cable interface, I would be able to activate dynamic steering, even though my 2014 A4 isn't equipped with the ADS buttons. If that is the case, then based on your preference for dynamic steering, I'm inclined get the VCDS software and interface, in anticipation that I might be able to activate (and enjoy) dynamic steering.

I should add that the VCDS software and interface seems to be useful for a number of other reasons as well; this would (I hope) be one more good reason.

R
Old 01-25-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No that is a misunderstanding. Dynamic Steering also requires hardware (a special gear that adjusts the steering ratio - and control module '1B'). The gear is shown here:
Dynamic steering ? Audi Technology Portal

I believe (but obviously never tried myself) that VCDS can alter the servo assist. (I have seen several users report that it becomes too heavy.)
Old 01-25-2015, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
No that is a misunderstanding. Dynamic Steering also requires hardware (a special gear that adjusts the steering ratio - and control module '1B'). The gear is shown here:
Dynamic steering ? Audi Technology Portal

I believe (but obviously never tried myself) that VCDS can alter the servo assist. (I have seen several users report that it becomes too heavy.)
Thanks.

Well, I've done a bit more research, and the plot thickens.

In this review, Road and track discusses Audi Dynamic Steering in the S4, and indeed, it references hardware:

Audi Dynamic Steering is Unusual

On the audi.ca website, Audi refers to Audi Drive Select, which is part of the Allroad's sport package (see the attached screenshot). It mentions 'sport' and 'normal' steering.

In the attached 2013 description of the A4's Drive Select, reference is made to 'adjustment of steering effort' (as contrasted with variable steering ratio).

From all that, it appears that, in the A4 Allroad, Drive Select offers a comfort 'mode' and dynamic (or 'sport') 'mode', but the dynamic mode might not include what you (and Road and Track, and Audi) refer to as Dynamic Steering - i.e., the hardware AND software. It seems that (again in the case of the Allroad, at least), the dynamic mode CAN be selected using the button - this increases steering effort.

It is not clear that in the case of the Allroad, at least), the Dynamic Steering Hardware (such as exists in the S4) is in place. Maybe the variable ratio steering is in place whenever an A4 is equipped with ADS, and Audi is simply offering increased steering effort at the push of a button, in the 'Dynamic Mode'.

Audi could do a far better job of being specific. I'm not sure that's inadvertent.

I'll buy the VCDS. Clearly, it's not going to install hardware. If anything, it will allow an adjustment of steering effort, and that's probably all.
Attached Images   
Old 01-25-2015, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I begin to understand the reason for confusion (also on my part).

The ADS option is the feature to adjust things.
The "things" you can add depends on the car but to an Allroad I believe is limited to "Dynamic Steering". (To a Sedan/Avant in Europe with a V6 other options include Sport Diff and adaptive shocks.)

"Dynamic Steering" has two features.
1) Speed dependent variable steering ratio. The gear changes and increases "directness" at low speed (just over one turn of the wheel from straight to full lock). At least in older pre-facelift MY I'm fairly sure the speed dependance is fixed, not changing with the ADS setting. My _feeling_ is that my new car changes the ratio or speed dependence with the ADS setting.

2) The parameter that clearly changes with the ADS setting is the amount of steering servo assist.

ADS can be ordered without the "Dynamic Steering".
If the car has navigation it also has the "Individual" MMI-mode where the different "things" can be adjusted.
When Dynamic Steering is included, the setting is labeled "Dynamic Steering".
When not included the setting (according to my handbook) is labeled "Steering".
In both cases the three settings are called Comfort, Auto, Dynamic.
So "Steering" can also be set to "Dynamic".