A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Auto Glass Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Glass Repair?

Well, I've had my S4 for 3 weeks, se it seems like it's time for a break in. Rear passenger window was popped and a few cheap items stolen. Will many auto glass places carry OEM windows? Ir should I go to the dealer? I'm posting this in a few places because I want to get it fixed ASAP before it rains. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom
Well, I've had my S4 for 3 weeks, se it seems like it's time for a break in. Rear passenger window was popped and a few cheap items stolen. Will many auto glass places carry OEM windows? Ir should I go to the dealer? I'm posting this in a few places because I want to get it fixed ASAP before it rains. Thanks.
Auto glass locations nor the dealer will stock the window, it will have to be ordered. Check with your insurance company as you may have glass coverage and the insurance company might direct you to a glass company with which they have an arrangement. Insist on Audi OEM glass based on your VIN and avoid "OEM" or aftermarket glass (much is manf. in China these days). Any glass company can order the original glass. In fact, most Audi dealers use a glass company for install.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Before my Audi, I had a 2008 Subaru Legacy. I went out to the garage one day to find a huge crack in my windshield. I suspect a rock chip gave it up overnight.

My experience was that State Farm allowed me to go through the dealership, however the dealership did not want to order the original glass for me. They said 9/10 times the glass would come to them cracked (???) so they suggest going with the "premium" glass that the local body shop carried which happened to be Pilkington. They were able to supply it with the heated wiper strips and header tint and I'd say it looked 98% like OEM. It was crystal clear so the glass quality was not an issue.

I would say try to get OEM like always, but if not, if it is a good brand like Pilkington or PPG I would not worry about it.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Watch matching the tint..........

Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom
since this is a side window I would only go OEM glass. I have seen top quality 3rd party glass that doesn't match the tint exactly and in the right light conditions you will see the differences. If it was front or rear glass then it doesn't matter to use OEM or 3rd party, OEM front windshields have softer glass than 3rd party replacements(so less scratches and chips with 3rd party).
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for not updating this thread. I picked up a window from the dealer. It was stocked. The. Took it to a third party installer and they put it in, in a couple hours. $250 for everything.

Erik