A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

AWD vs. FWD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You suspect correctly, IF you have the ASR active. That is why I disable the ASR when I am at the track. And that is why I don't advocate learning how to rotate with trail braking on public roads. I also have modified suspension which takes advantage of the B8 weight distribution and is very neutral at the limit so rotation is fairly simple. Even stock though it was not very difficult but it did require more brake entering turn in to initiate rotation than it does now. It is not a skill that the typical driver is comfortably capable of and often leads to over correcting into a wall, ditch, oncoming lane, etc.

I hate the electric parking brake but it makes sense for weak people, and those that don't actually test how much hold they have engaged. It is very easy to do 180's (aka bootlegger turns) with the electric e-brake with a little practice though. There is never any question as to whether you have engaged the e-brake enough to lock up the rear wheels. But again, ASR has to be disabled or you will have a very unhappy Audi.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

For me personally, I think the computer-induced electronic interplay between throttle and brakes is heresy. It removes in one step (no pun intended) one of the greatest areas in which a skilled driver can utilize talent to his or her advantage: the application and balance of power while braking into a corner to set the car up for that corner as the driver chooses. Using trail braking along with a certain amount of throttle can ease corner entry and allow the driver to better prepare the car for the application of more power to exit the turn. BUT, these techniques, also in my opinion, are best learned on a track, taught by an experienced instructor, and are best used on a track, not on a public road. If I ever become King of the Department of Transportation, I'm going to make this computerized power cut when braking user switchable to the OFF position.

Last edited by Brian Cecil; 10-10-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brian Cecil
For me personally, I think the computer-induced electronic interplay between throttle and brakes is heresy. It removes in one step (no pun intended) one of the greatest areas in which a skilled driver can utilize talent to his or her advantage: the application and balance of power while braking into a corner to set the car up for that corner as the driver chooses. Using trail braking along with a certain amount of throttle can ease corner entry and allow the driver to better prepare the car for the application of more power to exit the turn. BUT, these techniques, also in my opinion, are best learned on a track, taught by an experienced instructor, and are best used on a track, not on a public road. If I ever become King of the Department of Transportation, I'm going to make this computerized power cut when braking user switchable to the OFF position.
The ECU braking is even worse on my Mercedes. Anytime I attempt a toe/heel and my head just about goes through the windshield
Old 10-11-2010, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The differences are not subtle. There are many many posts on this web site, on several others and of course there is always Google or Bing. Heck, I must've personally written a book on the virtues of AWD vs FWD and AWD versus TWD (two wheel drive.)

Others, also here, have written and linked to numerous sources extoling the virtues (and some of the potential drawbacks) of AWD, generally, biased AWD (front vs rear vs "neutral" biased AWD). Moreover, there are so many articles on and about TorSen (Torque Sensing) -- which is the technology that most Audis employ to accomplish "quattro."

Just search this rich site and you will find why, "All restaurants are Taco Bell."

Er, wait a minute, search this rich site and you will find a treasure trove of Audi Quattro information.

Drive it like you live.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NickZag
The ECU braking is even worse on my Mercedes. Anytime I attempt a toe/heel and my head just about goes through the windshield
...Yeah I found my AMG ECU overkill to be ridiculous even with the ESP turned off so I had my mechanic, a local Mercedes dealer mechanic/AMG technician, add a toggle switch that grounds out all traction control as if the traction computer had been disconnected from the car. But I have an early E55 AMG. Your C63 has probably integrated the computers making that impossible.

Edit: just found this video ...pay attention at about 2:25 with regard to the ESP/BAS/ABS being disabled.
sorry for OT post

Last edited by QUA77R0; 10-11-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Manual FWD

Originally Posted by av_audi
AWD does not change the coefficient of friction of the tires. AWD has also no effect on hydroplaning. And my bet is that there were more important factors differentiating the handling between your A4 and SUV

Where AWD makes a difference is in transferring power to the pavement. On slippery surfaces, it allows you to accelerate harder, but you have to remember it won't help you brake any better. On curved trajectories, it does the same thing. You can accelerate harder out of curves before starting losing traction. FWD cars are the worst for this, as acceleration shifts weight to the rear, further reducing the friction threshold on tires that are already being taxed by both steering and traction forces. But if you break loose, you just slow down. With RWD, the weight shift and steering both work to your advantage. But if you apply too much power and your rear loses grip, you may lose control if you don't react very fast. AWD offers you the best of both worlds, but it comes with some penalties such as reduced efficiency (fuel consumption and reduced power to the wheels) and increased weight (reduces braking performance).

With the power levels the A4 has reached, AWD is probably worth it. A FWD A4 with a manual could offer great efficiency in a well handling package that would out-accelerate the AWD version when road curvature is not a factor. But in the US, we only get CVT, which I am not crazy about.
I'm buying a manual FWD this week lol