A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

B8 2.0T oil filter

Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default B8 2.0T oil filter

I don't need to do an oil change yet but was interested to know if the B8 inverted oil filter has a standpipe design. I'm familiar with my inverted Ferrari filters which have a standpipe to retain at least 1/2 of the filter's capacity but wanted to know if the 2.0T has the same design. Also is there a need to perforate the top of the filter so it fully drains prior to removing it? And last does any oil come out of the filter when you remove it if you let it drain for a few minutes. Just wondering.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:32 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I don't need to do an oil change yet but was interested to know if the B8 inverted oil filter has a standpipe design. I'm familiar with my inverted Ferrari filters which have a standpipe to retain at least 1/2 of the filter's capacity but wanted to know if the 2.0T has the same design. Also is there a need to perforate the top of the filter so it fully drains prior to removing it? And last does any oil come out of the filter when you remove it if you let it drain for a few minutes. Just wondering.
1. Standpipe...don't think so.
2. No need to perforate filter.
3. It will come off clean. Just lift it straight off and have a rag/paper towel to catch any drips.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do it right, you won't spill a drop. Not messy at all, easy DIY. The hardest part of the job is removing the dozen or so screws for the splash shield. Get a dipstick so you can physically check the oil instead of just relying on the console readout.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Can somebody confirm the oil filter part number?

The photo of your oil filter shows the number: 06J 115 561 B

But the photo of the filter box shows the number: 061 115 403 C

Are these both valid numbers for the 2.0T engine? Did you buy the correct filter?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren_S
If you do it right, you won't spill a drop. Not messy at all, easy DIY. The hardest part of the job is removing the dozen or so screws for the splash shield. Get a dipstick so you can physically check the oil instead of just relying on the console readout.

Thanks for the photo's. I already purchased the dip stick and found that the dealer put in about a quart to much. When I did the oil readout on the MMI after it showed the full graph a note came on saying "please drain some oil" . When I checked with the dip stick it read about a quart over. I pumped out a quart and now it is just above the full mark. I am surprised that the filter does not have a stand pipe to retain some oil during start up. I would think the germans would be smart enough to do this or at least have an anti drain back valve. I am in the process of getting a oil extractor system. Even though I have a lift I find the design of the Audi plastic belly pan is a PITA during a oil change. I see a few cars (Jaguar) are no longer using a drain plug for oil and are using the vacuum oil extractors instead. Makes it simple for cars with top oil filters. OK thanks for the info.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4Driver
The photo of your oil filter shows the number: 06J 115 561 B

But the photo of the filter box shows the number: 061 115 403 C

Are these both valid numbers for the 2.0T engine? Did you buy the correct filter?
Yeah, it's strange that the suffix part number on the label is different than the part number stamped on the filter, but that's how it came out from the box. I bought it from http://www.genuineaudiparts.com and specified my make, model and year. It's the right part.

Here is a photo of my original factory installed filter on the left and the new one on the right. As you can see, they both have identical part numbers stamped on the filter itself, but the new one had the box label with a different suffix.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Thanks for the photo's. I already purchased the dip stick and found that the dealer put in about a quart to much. When I did the oil readout on the MMI after it showed the full graph a note came on saying "please drain some oil" . When I checked with the dip stick it read about a quart over. I pumped out a quart and now it is just above the full mark. I am surprised that the filter does not have a stand pipe to retain some oil during start up. I would think the germans would be smart enough to do this or at least have an anti drain back valve. I am in the process of getting a oil extractor system. Even though I have a lift I find the design of the Audi plastic belly pan is a PITA during a oil change. I see a few cars (Jaguar) are no longer using a drain plug for oil and are using the vacuum oil extractors instead. Makes it simple for cars with top oil filters. OK thanks for the info.
You're welcome! Yes, others have mentioned about using an oil extractor through the dipstick tube. That will make the oil changing a lot easier for sure.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm installing a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve during my oil change this weekend.
That will save time, and possible stripping of the oil plug/pan threads.

I bought the last set of 3 of oil filters from Amazon
Old 05-29-2012, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Extractors are the way to go

On my previous Audis, I had to jack up the front of the car, get on my back and unfasten about a dozen screws holding the belly pan on. Then, after draining the oil, I had to reverse the process. It was a real pain, to say the least.

Using an extractor, I just insert the tube in the dipstick hole, pump the unit to create a vacuum, and go in the house and have a beer. When I come back, I change the filter, fill up the crankcase, and I'm done. I don't even get my clothes dirty in the process.

It's the only way to go.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We are your one stop shop for oil service kits!

We have standard and premium kits available!

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason